tab-askthetab message

Subject: Follow up from the TAB call

Hi John,

I'm just following up from the call with the TAB last Wednesday. I promised to get some info to you.

- The OSLC project GitHub is at https://github.com/oslc-op and their specifications are being built in https://github.com/oslc-op/oslc-specs. All the specs are managed in GH using their customized ReSpec tool.

 Looking at any of these will show you the template we are using for all OASIS documents. The standard metadata is on the cover pageÂand Notices section and then there are some other optional or required sections in the body of the documents themselves. Happy to walk through one with you sometime if you'd like.

 They are maintaining their ReSpec customizations in a TC GitHub at https://github.com/oasis-tcs/tab-respec. The primary maintainer is Nick Crossley. If you are interested in trying out ReSpec at some point, I'll be happy to introduce you.

- The TC making the most use of our markdown template right now is the OpenC2 TC. You can find the list of their documentation projects (which are at various stages of development) at https://github.com/oasis-tcs?q=openc2&type=&language=. One of the examples of a document using the template is https://github.com/oasis-tcs/openc2-cloudpubsub/edit/master/cloudpubsub-v1.0-wd01.md

If you'd like a template to experiment with - or to start some documentation - we can set one up for.

- The OASIS Editor's handbook is on Google at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lTartcAzlqidzrCxuXFFiwdRDKRipqMnNsMS24SZdjg/edit (Part 1 - it is a 4 part document right now.) This was developed for the Technical Committee specifications but I imagine that there is useful content for anyone writing documentation on an Open Project. I may be moving this to a GitHub repo soon where folks can provide suggestions to make it more generally applicable.

- The png attached shows the basic flow for a standards track work product. In a nutshell, a TC requests a starter document from me. We work out the details - things like the expected file names and eventual URLs for publication, organization of the piece if it is going to have multiple different parts, stuff like that. I then set up a template that the TC uses to create Committee Specification Drafts. For TC work, at some point, they need to be released for public review (I handle that) and they address any feedback they receive. When the TC reaches the point where they feel the work is complete and no more comments are pending, I run a Special Majority Vote for them to approve it as a Committee Specification. From there, they get 3 or more statements attesting that a party has implemented the spec and then we release it for a 60-day public review. (This keeps us aligned with WTO guidelines.) After that review completes, I send out the work to the members of OASIS in a call for consent at the end of which - assuming there are no objections - the work becomes an OASIS Standard.

The key difference for Open Projects is that the first steps - spec drafts and public reviews - don't apply. (Could if you wanted but not required.) Our view is that the work is in constant public review by virtue of being an open project. I give you a template, you all go to work on it and when you reach that magic 'done' point, I run a Special Majority Vote for the Project Governing Board (2/3 or more yes to pass, no more than 1/4 no). From there, if the PGB wants to submit it for OASIS Standard, we kick it off as above: 3 or more statements of use, 60-day public review, call for consent as OASIS standard.

This is a lot to digest. Feel free to contact us anytime if you want to go over any of this further or if I can make introductions to anyone involved in the above initiatives.

All the best,

/chetÂÂ
tc-process-graphic.png

--