tag-comment message

Subject: Re: [tag] Proposals for updating the "Anatomy of a TA" section (V0.6):

The latest proposal of "qualifiers" and "indicators" is getting closer to
a good resolution. Let me remind you of two important goals.
1. TAs must be usable for more than conformance testing.
2. There should be some way that a qualifier (formerly precondition,
antecedent, etc.) of one TA can be tied to the outcome of another TA, so
you know whether you will be getting a usable result.

Also, I want to remind you of a statement I made in my email of 3 October
2007 ("On non-passage and non-failure"):
3. The idea of "unable to evaluate" pass/fail as a third outcome state
cannot be truly eliminated, it can only be pushed into one corner or
another.
And indeed, the latest proposal chooses a corner (corner #3, for those
going back to the earlier message).

When looking at conformance testing, we also need to keep in mind this
observation that was brought up a few months ago:
4. No conformance test suite can ever "prove" conformance. If an IUT fails
a test case, that can prove NON-conformance, but no amount of passing
cases (even if it's 100% of available cases) shows that the IUT always
does the right thing in every usage outside the test suite.
I think this principle is in jeopardy under the latest proposal, so I want
to ask you to go to the next level of rigor when discussing the new
anatomy at your F2F.

I also assume that the latest proposal talks about qualifier (singular) to
stand in for the logical AND of a set of qualifiers that apply to the TA.
This concept has arisen before and does not appear controversial, but it
will affect the structure of a TA, at least in XML form.

With all the above as background, I propose the following step-by-step
process for evaluating the new anatomy proposal. Each step ends in an
answer to an important question, and I would expect that the answers are
needed by anyone who would attempt to use TAs.
FIRST, you must decide how the TAs work in a conformance context. That is,
what set of indicators must be TRUE to indicate conformance (to the extent
tested)? Or by applying (4) above, will it really become: what set of
indicators would indicate non-conformance if any one of them is FALSE?
Would it be better to structure the indicators to focus on true being good
or false being bad? Under the proposed design, you can't get both decisive
good and bad in the same set of TAs, which one of JD's notes admits. Do
you want to allow the use of either structure? If so, you will have to go
through the rest of the decisions enumerated here twice.
SECOND, after having established what a positive test assertion indicator
signifies, you want a negative test indicator to work the same way. This
may be mostly a burden on the test case writers, but the specs need to
make clear how a TA should be written so that positive and negative will
blend together consistently.
THIRD, re-check the design for test situations other than conformance. In
a real world situation, we are often deciding whether to ship a product
based on test results that show (A) delivery of a certain level of correct
functionality, (B) absence of any really bad failures, and (C) overall
"good enough" numbers of tests being passed. Will the TAs be able to be
divided along similar lines? (Groups A and B are represented by test cases
that must pass, while C is a percentage of all tests for which the
qualifier is true. In this scenario, the decision to not implement a
certain feature acts as a qualifier.)

After answering the above, you can then move on to fill in detailed charts
of how the qualifier(s) cause a test to be reduced from decisive to
non-decisive. I think this involves a matrix of qualifier true/false
against test outcome true/false/undetermined, and each cell inside is the
indicator value, either true or false. (I have a suspicion that a test
could result in "undetermined" for reasons other than failing to satisfy
the qualifier. Maybe that could be a side discussion.)

Finally, the above decisions MAY lead to the need to specify an
abstraction of a particular bit of metadata for each test case. The datum
would specify whether pass or fail is the definitive outcome for the test
case, other outcomes being mere suggestions. The reason you would want to
define this is so that you can explain the application of outcomes to
qualifiers of other tests. This is a consequence of JD's suggestion that "
The qualifier may refer to one or more other TA, with the semantics that
the test target must then evaluate to "true" by the Indicator of these
referred TAs, in order to qualify." You don't know whether the indicator
of the referred TA is true until you run the test cases for that TA, but
the test metadata may be saying that failure is the decisive outcome.
.................David Marston