tag-comment message

Subject: Re: A Variables Example together with a Worked Example

I like the newest example for variables, where geopolitical-location
(a.k.a. locale?) is the key for more than one assertion. It may be longer
than you wanted for just introducing the subject, but it shows the point
that the variable can be reused. The part where the WEIGHTs are set make
this use of variables look a little OCL-ish, which I consider a bad thing,
but maybe there are operational efficiencies that offset the aesthetic
concerns. There are "exogenous" values, such as properties that cannot be
determined by testing, so maybe that concept can be brought into the mix.
In this case, geopolitical-location is an exogenous variable, while the
WEIGHTs are the other kind, endogenous variables. Before you can run tests
derived from these TAs, you need values assigned to all the exogenous
variables. The endogenous ones will be calculated when "resolving" the
TAs, which is a combination of running tests and/or resolving TAs such as
widget-TA100-7a. (Notice that widget-TA100-7a does not require an actual
unit-under-test, only that you know which geopolitical-location you're
testing.)

This leads to the further question, which can be deferred until a later
edition. Should the collection of TAs for a particular spec be accompanied
by a complete list of all the properties? Or maybe it needs a list of all
the exogenous variables. See Appendix F of the XSLT 2.0 specification [1]
for a real-life example of a list of properties that must be reset for
each unit-under-test.

SDG>There are here three types of TA
>1. normal
>2. property definition
>3. variable definition

Interesting. I wonder if the Prescription Level should be used to earmark
type 2 or 3 TAs. To continue the example, since widget-TA100-7a does not
require an actual unit-under-test, it is not really "mandatory" because it
doesn't impose a constraint that a non-conformant unit-under-test can
violate. It's more like a "definition" as Stephen observed. I think
Prescription Level needs careful engineering.
.................David Marston
IBM Research

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xslt20-20070123/#implementation-defined-features