tag-discuss message

Subject: Re: Reasons to wait on convening a TC

No insult intended to Dave Pawson! I have contributed material to his XSLT FAQ in the past. I was specifically calling attention to how XML metadata and XSLT transformations are central to **conformance testing** of the XSLT/XPath/XQuery family of specs.

Back on the main line of skepticism about TAs in XML, I think a blunt statement might be in order:
The Spec Guidelines tell editors to "write testable sentences" and to a great extent, spec editors already do that. If the TA TC is formed and all they do is tell spec editors how to write more-refined forms of testable sentences, it wasn't worth it.

Right now, test planners and writers of test cases can do a reasonably good job of using prose in the specs to design a set of test cases by the "manual" methods of understanding the sentences and joining multiple constraints in their minds. If the TA TC is formed and they issue a standard for machine-processable TAs, then we have a significant advance in conformance testing, and the work of the TC was worth it.

DP>It would appear you have an end to end solution mapped out.

Well, yes and no. I think the conformance testing community is aware that some aspects of their individual solutions are hard to quantify in planning and might be due for enhanced technology. Test case metadata is on the list of technology enhancements, above TAs in priority, and we know that work is underway to put test case metadata into XML. Because it's XML, it can be reformatted to different XML if future developments change the details. If you get the people on this list together face-to-face and have them talk about their respective needs and pains in their own end-to-end solutions, TAs will come up as a frequent issue. In my involvement with XSLT testing (since early 1998), planning always has to assume that a hard-to-quantify but large amount of time is spent in just reading the specs very carefully, building up implications from testable sentences that are far apart in the documents, and figuring out the correct behavior and how to test it. Machine processable TAs would act as a catalyst for tooling to help in this process. It is appropriate to convene a TC to fill a hole identified by many, without presuming that the hole exists in just one end-to-end process.

Not mentioned so far, but also worth considering: machine-processable TAs might also help developers write correct code. TAs might be usable by debuggers and tracing/logging tools, or even by code-correctness checkers.

DM>>If we design TAs to be amenable to machine processing (e.g., by
>>expressing them in XML), then there is hope that early efforts at
>>TAs will become more valuable in the future as new tools emerge.

DP>A test matrix will do that.

Intriguing thought! Can you elaborate? To me, the term "test matrix" suggests a display of selected test case metadata. How does a test matrix involve TAs and allow them to be compounded? Perhaps there should be a TC standardizing test matrices instead of TAs?

DP>What of a WG that doesn't have any XML expertise? Wouldn't
>[defining the TA format as an XML vocabulary]
>be making it unecessarily hard for them?

It's possible that TAs will only apply to a subset of the type of specs issued by OASIS, W3C, OMG, and the like. (BTW, XML knowledge is effectively mandatory for spec editors at the W3C.) This gets back to the "testable sentences" remark I made earlier. I'm pretty sure that the hard part about composing well-formed TAs is formulating the contingencies and conclusion (or whatever the various parts will be named) to be suitably rigorous. On the other side, there may already be vocabularies for "rules" that have already solved all aspects of the TA problem other than TA-specific markup.
.................David Marston