tag-discuss message

Subject: RE: [tag-discuss] Re: Test case metadata...

some $0.02 considerations related to tagging " assertions" vs. writing " test assertions"  :
 (a plea in favor of more than just tagging...)

Regards,
-Jacques

From: Patrick.Curran@Sun.COM [mailto:Patrick.Curran@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:58 PM
To: Durand, Jacques R.
Cc: tag-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org

As I suggested in a recent post, I don't believe that it is always necessary to "reword" spec requirements in order to turn them into test assertions. If the spec is written in appropriately precise and normative language, it ought to be possible to treat text within the spec itself as assertions.

in some cases, the spec may appear crystal-clear on what needs to be tested and gives enough hints on how to verify the requirement But shouldn't  we still recommend to extract a test assertion for the sake of consistency with the rest of TAs that are associated with this spec?
I am aware that this is more a methodology argument than a technical one, but my concern would be: often what is " crystal clear"  for spec writers, may not be so for test suite writers, and spec writers may be prone to be content with " assertions"  tags where a little more structured  " test assertion"  would really be more helpful.
For example WS-I  " profile definitions"  already  seemed to be stated quite clearly (each requirement is a separate, numbered item etc.), but when we wrote TAs for these in a methodical way (with a test approach in mind, e.g. stating more clearly which were the artifacts under test, etc.), we were surprised of how non-obvious that exercise was,  of the questioning and challenges this exercise caused to the original statements (helping increase quality) and ultimately of the difference it made for people writing ultimate test cases.

A data-point: when the W3C QA Working Group was working on the Specification Guidelines [1] we wanted to make sure that this document (which was itself a specification) conformed to itself (that is, that this document conformed to the recommendations contained within it).

 " eat your own dog food"  as some say... I guess we' ll have to, for our credibility...

Since one of our recommendations was to use test assertions, we made the effort to create an assertion list. It turned out to be a largely cosmetic exercise, involving making slight but non-critical changes to text that was already present within the spec.

This is why we defined a test assertion as "a measurable or testable statement of behavior, action, or condition [that is] contained within or derived from the specification's requirements". (In retrospect, I think "the specification's requirements" is redundant, and we could simply have said "the specification".)

[1] QA Framework: Specification Guidelines: http://www.w3.org/TR/qaframe-spec/

Patrick Curran
Manager, Java SE Conformance Test Development, Sun Microsystems

--------------------------

Durand, Jacques R. wrote:
Serm:

Ah, one more lurker coming out in the open :-) Thanks for detailed
feedback - that reinforces the need to make sure we all agree on the
terminology. So far I see agreement on this list on the general
intuitive meaning of TA: a TA is a rewording of a spec requirement in a
way that is "testable" within an assumed mode of deployment for an
implementation.

Divergences seem to be in the details:

- Test Assertion (TA) is in fact Test Requirement (TR) plus Test

Profile

I must confess that I never really made a difference between TA and
TR... from a modeling viewpoint, isn't this "test profile" matching
something like a conformance profile? i.e. grouping a selected set of
TRs. In that case no real difference TA/TR. Or, do you see TR as closer
to spec narrative, and TA possibly narrower, designed for a specific
conformance level or profile (e.g. may cover only partially some spec
requirement, if the "profile" does not need more)?

On the scoping of a TAG TC activity:

- I also favor a "descriptive" guideline (and data model I guess) as a
decent first objective, that has value in itself and less controversial
for broad adoption.
- even if all agree on such a 1st step/deliverable, we still need to
decide whether the TC charter should plan for [a possible] next phase
that involves an adjunct for a mark-up / representation of TAs. (note:
charter does not need to be precise on which purpose this mark-up would
serve... could be just wrapping the descriptive for publishing)

Cheers,
-Jacques