tag-discuss message

Subject: RE: [tag-discuss] TA definition

>Does TA definition reference some specific "entity" under the test  or it just say
>about something that could be implemented?

If we assume (even implicitly) some kind of test harness as context to the existence of a TA, as several of us believe based on recent mails, I believe we also assume an entity called "the implementation [under test]". I looked into W3C QA framework doc and did not find much said about what is pervasively referred to as "a conforming implementation".

Does a TA have to say more about "a conforming implementation" of the target spec (can we asume all TAS are implicitly about the same "conforming implementation")?

Because a specification may have modules and profiles (quoting W3C QA fmk), in some cases I believe it will be necessary to be more specific about which implementation profile or of which module implementation we are talking about. For example, if a messaging specification assumes that implementations may take either a "sender" role or a "receiver"  role (not necessarily both), a TA would not be meaningful if it does not refer to which role is under test (often this role can be inferred from the TA wording - e.g. "if an implementation sends a message..." --> "sender" role , but that kind of hint may not be reliable).

Keeping this discussion focused on finalizing the charter, I would propose to extend our TA def as follows (see two first sentences added to previous extension):

"A TA always assumes an implementation under test. When necessary, the TA may characterize the implementation that is under test, e.g. by identifying the specification profile or module covered by this implementation. A TA may refer to an abstract test harness architecture that characterizes test components in terms of their interaction with the implementation under test. A TA may specify which interactions or operations between implementation and test harness are expected to be observed or exercised."

If nobody complains, I'll use this wording in the coming charter draft....

-Jacques