tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] some thoughts and comments from reading a month worthofmessages

Quoting "Durand, Jacques R." <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com>:

> How to convey this test logic in a "prose" TA?
> (a)- either force a rewriting of the prose without the keyword, e.g. "
> When API function F(x) is called with argument value greater than MAX,
> then the API implementation PASS this test if F(x) = F(MAX), and FAIL
> otherwise."
> (b)- or add a meta statement to the specification statement: "the test
> outcome is PASS if the expected behavior is observed, FAIL otherwise."
>
> In (b) the RFC keywords are still there, but the TA text is clear as
> when pass/fail.

Yes, this is like how I was thinking with the metadata attribute like
'isTrueFalse'. There would be a problem with 'isPassFail' since it
might be more than just pass and fail - it might be pass fail or error
or it might be pass fail error or inconclusive or even pass fail error
inconclusive or inapplicable. It is in some cases determined by the
logic of the TA (e.g. depending on whether there are clear conditions
to mean a test can be inapplicable/inappropriate) and in most cases
determined by the test methodology, to which the TA should be agnostic.

Maybe the guideline could be that if the value is not boolean (isTrueFalse
= false) then it is to be assumed that the outcomes will include pass
and fail but not exclusively (other values may be dependent on factors
out of scope).

But if we can model something satisfactory then this seems an essential
feature to allow automation by those who use suitable expressions without
over-complicating things for those who don't want the automation as such
(or for TAs which don't allow automation).

> NOTE: when there are many spec requirements (either MUST or SHOULD) of
> the same style for a large number of API functions, they could all share
> the same additional meta statement (b), so as to avoid repetition.

I agree

> Granted, we do not have this ambiguity in case we have MUST instead of
> SHOULD, but I'd still prefer to handle these spec requirements in a
> similar way: apply (a) or (b) above, regardless of the RFC keyword used.
> Would that work for you?

Yes, thanks. I would understand SHOULD as a MUST with possible exceptions.
I think we can do better for allowing formalization (for potential
automation, say, of a SHOULD when the spec wording can be rewritten) if
we add 0..n exception elements to the model

-TA
--prose (0..1)
--pointer (0..n)
--flow (0..n)
---pre (0..n)
---trigger (0..?)
---result (1..n)
---exception (0..n)
---post (0..n)

Not all SHOULD keyword uses would be expected to be handled this way
since sometimes the exceptions are not explicit and no information is
given in the spec about implied exceptions but this would be one way
a spec architect would benefit from thinking about the TAs - make it
more clear what the exceptions are which make it SHOULD rather than
MUST and perhaps then make it just a MUST with those exceptions :-)

Best regards

Steve