tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] Groups - TA Anatomy V0.5 (AnatomyTA-v05.doc) uploaded

I agree with Dave (see a below)

In summary:
a) Regardless of whether it is a positive or negative test - a pass is a
pass; a fail is a fail.
(note: we need to be clear regarding the results of the negative test in
that the behavior being tested causes an error or failure, but that is
what is expected to happen, thus, the test passes)

b) If an IUT passes all the tests - then the best we can say is that
there were no failures.  Since testing was probably falsification
testing, you can't prove the IUT correct. However, failing a test proves
that it isn't correct. BUT, if the conformance clause or the testing
organization allows for partial conformance, then the door is wide open
with respect to failing a test and what it means for the IUT.

Thus, with respect to the TA, we should stay away from making statements
like (b) - there are other factors (e.g., conformance clauses, the
organization doing the testing, certification, etc) that provide the
rules for an IUT passing or failing a set of tests.

--Lynne

uploaded