tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] Correction: Re: [tag] TA Condition Qualifiers and TA Dependencies

Stephen: inline

-----Original Message-----
From: stephen.green@systml.co.uk [mailto:stephen.green@systml.co.uk]
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 8:56 AM
To: tag@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [tag] Correction: Re: [tag] TA Condition Qualifiers and TA
Dependencies

Erratum:

Sorry for the example please read:

  Example 1:
  Spec: #2: item X MAY have property Y
        #3: if item X has property Y then item X MUST have property Z1
        #4: if item X has property Y then item X MUST have property Z2

['then item X' instead of 'then item A']

Quoting stephen.green@systml.co.uk:

> I just want to attempt to clarify those couple of points as requested
> in the F2F. Here is an example I'd like to work with
>
> Example 1:
> Spec: #2: item X MAY have property Y
>       #3: if item X has property Y then item A MUST have property Z1
>       #4: if item X has property Y then item A MUST have property Z2
>
> (Z1 and Z2 might, say, be properties somehow related to Y)
>
> It might be that the spec writers realize they have to further qualify

> this to help with the conformance issue: What happens when #3 or #4
> are not satisfactorily implemented?
>
> case 1: if #3 or #4 fails then #2 also fails

case 2: if #3 or #4 fails
> #2 does not necessarily fail because it is optional

<JD> I would assume that the existence of property Y is somethng that
can be
Tested in itself. In that case, #2 can be tested independently. But to
say that a test "fails" for #2 still need be defined... (does it only
mean that property Y is not there? Because its hard to fail a
MAY...)</JD>

case 3: if #3 then
> #2 fails but if #4 fails then 2# does not necessarily fail
>
> (I'll give a normal life version of Example 1 just to show how
> realistic it might be in a familiar situation:
> Example 2 - some local traffic light requirements:
> If traffic light fails in a part of a road that doesn't need one then
> it depends what sort of failure it is as to whether it MUST be
> replaced: if it fails to light up at all then it is OK but if it shows

> green when it should show red it MUST be replaced or fixed If a
> traffic light fails in a part of a road where it is essential then it
> MUST be replaced or fixed whatever the failure
>
> X = road position
> Y = traffic light
> Z1 = sequencing program
> Z2 = power supply)
>
> back to Example 1
>
> How about the TAs (especially for case 3)?
>
> I would say we can use conditions to qualify the TAs in order to show
> the dependencies between outcomes. This is nothing new, except that
> I'm favoring 'condition' over 'precondition'
> since it covers things where time is relevant - such as cause and
> effect - but also where it isn't - such as logical if..then.
> So I'd see a condition (such as 'when..then' or 'if..then') as a
> qualifier of part of the TA expression.

<JD> In the F2F we considered reusing, as best practice, something close
to the classification introduced by
Unisoft - Glossary of Assertion Based Testing Terms
http://www.unisoft.com/glossary.html
</JD>

> Then I'd say the TAs would be additionally linked where there are
> dependencies of the conditions on the other TAs. (This is like the
> 'prerequisite' concept of the WS-I prior art where a 'prerequisite' is

> apparently a precondition which involves another TA - except that here

> I'm separating the two concepts into the link to another TA and the
> condition which says more about how the other TA outcome relates to
> the current TA outcome.)
>
> I feel that conditions and dependencies are more generic than
> preconditions and prerequisites and cover more use cases. I feel that
> we should split (in modeling at least) the separate roles
> prerequisites play of condition/qualifier and TA pointer.

<JD> let us try to isolate a minimal set of carefully picked TAs
illustrating
The possible dependencies between Tas.
</JD>