tag message

Subject: Wrapping up the guideline V1 ?

In the Session B meeting yesterday, Youngkon Lee and myself came up with a suggestion:

It is time to wrap-up the guideline doc: there is enough material in it for an entry-level guide.

Most advanced features (section 3) that are still up for discussion, will take too long - in time and in text length - to treat in an exhaustive way.
We are talking of:
- Various Normative Sources
- The Case of Multiple Specifications
- Classification
- Specification Versions
- Variables and Target Properties

The idea is to treat each on of above topics in a brief way (about half a page at most) summarize what issues can arise, what are the options, and refer to an upcoming more complete adjunct document to the guideline for a more detailed treatment of these features.
Even the pre-requisite section that has been stable for a while could be shortened.

The advantages are:

- we can publish the guideline V1 early this summer - about 1 year after we started, as planned. That will allow us to get early feedback as well, useful for crafting the adjunct document that will come after.

- the guideline makes it clear that there is more to TAs than what is in it, but that all these are advanced or special features that will be treated (and examplarized) more completely in a separate adjunct document. Then we'll have more time to work on these.

- we can start working on the mark-up asap, which needs mostly a stable TA structure (which we have) and a hint of what advanced features [will] require (which we know).

Opinion?

Jacques