tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] About Prescription levels

Stephen:

Agree with your concerns of making sure the predicate interpretation
does not get blurred in the process:

> If the spec says MUST or MUST NOT and this is all captured in the
prescription level
> then what more is there to say with 'outcome'?
> Doesn't this introduce an unnecessary extra way to add a negation.

I think we have here two problems that will collide if we don't
establish clear semantics boundaries:

(1) problem of conveying the "level of prescription" associated with the
normative source (mandatory, recommended/preferred....)

(2) problem of establishing the meaning of the predicate w/r to
fulfillment of normative source.

----- For (1):

We are facing two major options:

Option (A):  the prescription level is nothing more than a "category" of
normative statement. For example, if a normative feature has the
RECOMMENDED keyword, then the prescription level is "preferred". Even if
this TA is later reused for a conformance profile #2 for this
specification, that makes the feature REQUIRED. (the feature remains
optional for the "base" conformance profile #1). In that case we leave
it to the Test Cases / Test Suite associated with each Profile, to
interpret its outcome differently.

Option (B): the prescription level reflects the expectation of
fulfillment for a target, with regard to this TA. In that case, we would
have two TAs for profiles #1 and #2, that would only differ by their
prescription level: "preferred" for #1, "mandatory" for #2.

I believe the initial intent for prescription level was (A) (Paul?
Yongkon?).
I feel (B) would be tricky and taint the TA with some conformance
expectation that would go beyond the "statement of behavior, action or
condition that can be measured or tested" which we could claim is the
same in both cases. ( also consistent with these TAs that are used just
to verify if a target exhibits a feature, regardless of conformance
concerns.)
But as a TC we need to come to some closure on this.

----- For (2):

I send back to recent examples in a previous email (6/18 titled "weak TA
predicates".)
These examples have led people to define TAs with a predicate that is
intentionally too "weak" to permit the usual mapping:
- true = [indication of] fulfillment [of normative feature],
- False = [indication of] violation [of normative feature]
But instead, lead to cases such as:
- true = fulfillment,
- False = undetermined
Or:
- true = undetermined,
- False = violation

And I distinguish these variations from conformance outcomes that I
think Patrick mentioned previously: that in all cases, when looking at a
test result, a failure outcome surely means a violation of the spec
feature, while a positive outcome is no guarantee that this target will
always fulfill the spec requirement in the future. I believe this is
always true even with a "perfect" predicate (True=fulfillment,
False=violation). But these variants above are of different nature:
caused by the design of the predicate itself, i.e. by design (for
testability reason) incapable of indicate either fulfillment or
violation.

Such cases seem to beg for a better statement of the relationship
between predicate and normative feature, i.e. how good a "measurement
indicator" the predicate is, by mapping true/false outcome to what is
"indicated" (fulfillment, violation, undetermined).
Now, if we do this, should we also allow mappings like (negative
testing):
- true = violation,
- False = fulfillment
Or:
- true = violation,
- False = undetermined
I feel we don't have to, but this is a lesser question...

But these concerns should remain othogonal to the "prescription level",
whatever semantics it is given (A) or (B) above. I.e. the design quality
of the predicate is a different issue from how strongly the fulfillment
(of which the predicate is just an indicator), is expected from a
target.

So I believe these two problems (1) and (2) above, if kept orthogonal,
are manageable... And certainly should avoid the "composed negation"
confusion IF prescription level is interpreted as (A), or even in case
we want (B) if we are careful to define it as a prescription of
"fulfillment", not of what the predicate outcome is which could mean
different things in (2).

I hope at least I stated the problems correctly...

Jacques