tag message

Subject: Proposal for TA outcomes

About the need to describe the TA outcomes at a higher level than in section 4.2:
We discussed the possibility to have it more visibly in 3.1:

Under 3.1, add a last subsection:

Core Test Assertion Parts

Optional Test Assertion Parts

In addition, a test assertion may optionally include:....

General Semantics of a Test Assertion

As a test assertion has parts that can be evaluated over a Target instance (i.e. the Prerequisite and the Predicate), the following semantics is defined for a test assertion, with regard to a Target instance :

o "Target not qualified": if the Prerequisite (if any) evaluates to "false" over a Target instance.

o "Normative statement fulfilled [by the Target]": if the Prerequisite (if any) evaluates to "true" over a Target instance, and the Predicate evaluates to "true".

o "Normative statement not fulfilled [by the Target]": if the Prerequisite (if any) evaluates to "true" over a Target instance, and the Predicate evaluates to "false".

3.2 Best Practices

<here, beginning of section 3.2>

------------------------------------

We may want to reword a bit the definition of Prerequisite in 3.1 if we change "not Relevant " to "not Qualified" :
See my email 8/4 titled "Comment on review draft: notRelevant vs notQualified"

Current:

"A test assertion Prerequisite is a logical expression (similar to a Predicate) which further qualifies the
Target for the Normative Statement. It may include references to the outcome of other test assertions.
Whether or not the implementation of the target fulfills the prerequisite determines whether or not the test
assertion is relevant to the implementation: If it evaluates to "false" then the test assertion is to be
considered 'not relevant' to this Target instance."

Proposed:

"A test assertion Prerequisite is a logical expression (similar to a Predicate) which qualifies the
Target for undergoing the core test (expressed by the Predicate) that addresses the Normative Statement.
It may include references to the outcome of other test assertions.
 If the Prerequisite evaluates to "false" then the Target instance is not qualified for evaluation by the Predicate."

-jacques