tag message

Subject: Re: [tag] Proposal: Providing Decentralized Extensiblity of Enumerative-Attribute Values

Re: 3.1 (1) / 3.2 (1)

I'm not sure, though I'd need to investigate this some
more, that restricting the base datatype of enumerations
beyond normalizedString has a lot of benefit. If the
datatype is normalizedString then I would have thought
it can still be used for URIs and QNames.

I propose this as a simple type for custom enumerations

        <xs:simpleType name="codeExtension_type">
		<xs:restriction base="xs:normalizedString">
			<xs:pattern value="\[\S.*\]"/>
		</xs:restriction>
	</xs:simpleType>

xs:normalizedString would permit both URIs and QNames.
The pattern \[\S.*\] would require that a code be surrounded
by square brackets which should then be easily removed
to provide a normalized string such as a URI and I hope
this would be not just consistent with RDFa but with pretty
much any other enumeration scheme such as a simple
codelist. The surrounding square brackets just ensure the
strinng is not one of the built-in TAML codes misspelt, etc.

This would be allowed, for example:

level="[http://docs.oasis-open.org/tag/taml/20100920/deprecated]";

but so would this

level="deprecated"

and for RDFa implementations, etc the "anyAttribute" allows this

level="[deprecated]"
resource="http://docs.oasis-open.org/tag/taml/20100920/extendedcodelist.xsd";

or presumably whatever other syntax the RDFa requires.

I propose to put this pattern in the next draft schema (if nobody
objects - we could still change it later of course).

Thanks for good input Dennis. I hope I haven't missed your point.

Best regards
---
Stephen D Green