tag message

Subject: About ISO submission

FW: Some excerpt from answer from OASIS staff (Jamie C.) about  requirements for ISO submission:
The Liaison Policy https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/liaison is where the submission process is described.
-jacques
-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie Clark [mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:45 PM
To: Jacques Durand
Subject: Re: question on ISO submission

The validation requirements for OASIS Standard status -- under Section
3.4.1 of our TC process [1] -- are distinct from those applied to external submissions -- under Section 1(c) of our submissions rules in our Liaison Policy [2].
For OASIS Standard, the former is the demand for three "Statements of Use" as defined in our TC Process.
The latter is a Liaison Policy rule that external submissions first be validated by an "interop demo" as defined in our Interoperability Demo Guidelines [3].  Chet probably  refers you to Carol Geyer here because her team manages the latter.
That second "interop" requirement is a few years old -- it's from OASIS, not ISO -- and the Board has waived it on occasions when its application seemed inappropriate.
My own view is that, sensibly, the interop requirement should not be applied to second versions of a specification, when the first one already has been submitted.  (As is the case, for example, with ODF v2 going back to JTC1, or ebMS v3 back to ISO.)  The requirement was intended to ensure that an external submission be relatively solid and credible, before we take it to ISO or the like.  However, in cases where ISO (or similar) already have accepted and approved a first version, re-proving its value OTHER than by OASIS Standard status seems unnecessary.  Also, our de jure submission partners tend to feel shorted, if we refuse to send on an updated final version for some technical rule reason.
Hope this is helpful.

Cordially, Jamie

{1] https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#OASISstandard
[2] https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/liaison#submitwork