tamie message

Subject: RE: [tamie] A closer look at BPMN 2

If we have some time left at the end of our agenda today (which is
already quite loaded), we'll start discuss on BPMN model(s) and how it
applies to event-driven scripting.
We'll put it on the agenda of the next call.

Jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: Moberg Dale [mailto:dmoberg@axway.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 8:01 AM
To: stephen.green@documentengineeringservices.com;
tamie@lists.oasis-open.org

I can try to expand on a call on your questions on both of the
submissions that Jacques has pointed to that are under development for
OMG's BPMN 2.0 RFP.

Most of the material relating to graphical notations for diagrams
derives from earlier BPMN versions. Of course, informal semantic
commentary accompanied the earlier versions. The submissions for BPMN
2.0 attempt in differing ways to use OMG style formalization for BPMN
semantics. As you might expect, there are several ways to approach that
task. An additional major goal of interest to me is to provide an
explicit graphical notation for "choreographies" (called interaction
protocols in one of the submissions).

I am not clear how the presence of RAND will impact us. We would have to
consider how implementations of the scripting language or the event
description language involve anything from the submissions. I would
expect we would only use the graphical notations (once they are accepted
by OMG) to describe use cases, right? We aren't going to make the
languages "model-driven" in the OMG sense nor make use of MOF and
related meta modeling apparatus. My guess is that using the graphical
notation for examples will not encumber us at all. Or did you have
something else in mind in (3), Stephen?

On Stephen issue (1): message can be thought of as an interprocess
communication event, as the data packet of that event, or as some
specific "content" of the data packet (such as a specific business
document), and I am sure much else. Clearly the proposal you refer to is
picking out the event sense of "message" and is stipulating that the
event of messaging is regarded as ending when it is received. Because
the submitted proposal intends to be able to apply temporal constraint
relations to the domain of events in a M1 level model (and probably in
M0 level instances as well!) it is good to have an idea of "when" an
event begins or ends, so that what occurs before or after (or at the
same time) can be modeled. We probably want to be able to monitor or
test that the temporal constraints so described. So we will need such a
concept IMO. You are of course right that the content in the message is
extracted and passed around to numerous internal processes, not
necessarily as a message but perhaps as a file or as part of a RPC etc
etc. (Actually the modeling of this ETL process is not very well handled
by either submission IMO because of underspecification of various
concepts of "content" involved and how we call it different things,
depending on syntax, technical modes of "passing data" (by reference,
value and so on) as well as using queues, files, etc. But most of these
details are software related, and BPMN is supposedly aimed at a business
level of description abstraction level.

On SG (2): I am not clear enough on what we mean by monitor to respond
to this issue yet. Maybe you could elaborate on the call?

On Jacques (1,2,3): I agree that these concepts might be useful in
connecting some of our concerns to other related vocabularies. OMG does
even have other initiatives for a metamodel for event that are underway,
however. We could, once BPMN 2.0 is voted on, make use of the graphics
for documenting use cases. (I have used a simple LTS graphic of a
directed graph with labels on the transition edges because I have
arrived at the view that this is the most generally applicable view of
states/actions and their specified or observed transitions...)

====

Stephen Green 1:
I think we might have a problem with the concept in proposal '08-11-07'
that
a message 'ends when it is received'. A message is still being used in
the event board after it is 'received' when the message is being
monitored.
Also
the message is 'received' in different ways in multiple
Tasks/SubProcesses when, for example, the message gets processed by a
web server, then by a back-office system and possibly when the message
is forwarded in a process like drop-ship or factoring (also of course
many kind of internal process have to pass messages on from task to
task).

Stephen Green 2:
Secondly, it would be interesting to see if the '08-11-07' proposed
event monitor maps exactly to what we mean in TaMIE by an event monitor.

Stephen Green 3:

Durand, Jacques R. <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> 1:

Durand, Jacques R. <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> 2:

Durand, Jacques R. <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> 3: