tamie message

Subject: Re: [tamie] minutes 1/6 uploaded, + check Actions Item list !

Having looked around a bit more (but I confess I haven't yet read the
XSLT 2.0 spec) I came across this posting

http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200304/msg00407.html

which evidences the extent to which XSLT 2.0 tries to keep its functions
(as does XPath, it seems) side-effect-free. This is of course, the Haskell
principle at work. There seems to be a slight admission that producing
output might be construed as a side-effect but that is not the intention
when the function is merely returning a result which is (it seems - in
principle at least) the only output it produces: i.e. there is no use of
'xsl:result-document' in the xslt function. That is what this mailing says
but maybe things changed in XSLT 2.0 and for that I guess I'll have to
read the spec. :-)

I guess we can in any case defer the actual content of an ETSM function
to the spec of the underlying implementation to the extent that we let
the issue of how far the no-side-effects-in-functions principle is applied
(whether, say, the event board can be updated by a function). Or else
we actually specify what XSLT tries to adhere to - that functions MUST
be free of side effects *except* when using vendor-specific ETSM
processor extensions (e.g. XSLT processor when the ETSM uses XSLT
in an implementation). In either case we can probably try advise that
when functions do allow side-effects (e.g. when extended with java, etc)
there should be consideration that if ETSM is implemented in XSLT then
the sequence of actions performed by the underlying XSLT processor
may not be as expected and may be unpredictable.

Best regards

Steve