tamie message

Subject: RE: [tamie] Event Board

Jacques,

See [inline].

-Cho

From: Durand, Jacques R. [mailto:JDurand@us.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:58 PM
To: Hyunbo Cho; tamie@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Jungyub Woo; gazuo

Cho and all:

We will put this on the agenda for this Tuesday Feb 3rd meeting.

Some comments:

1- I have the feeling that one type of EB over these 3 types (PEB, MEB, TEB) might be superfluous... in particular: can't we consider PEB and MEB the same?

Or is the "MEB" acting only as an event input (fed by the event adapters) and PEB as only for outputs from scripts, like test results, etc.?

 [Our original idea: All the events can be stored at MEB no matter they come from. The test user can then play with MEB. The test user can catch and process the needed events from MEB, catch and store to PEB the to-be-used events from MEB. Whether  TEB is created for convenience purpose is up to the test user.]

2- could we make a list of various kinds of events we need to manage so that we better understand the requirements we must address?

(e1). External events  that contain business data, e.g. Purchase Order, and that needs to be processed usually within "conversations". e.g. all events relating to the same POref#.

(e2). Internal events generated by test scripts just for the sake of synchronization across "scriplets" (or "testflows"). Need to be discarded at the end of a test case execution

(e3).  Internal Events that capture the result of test case exec. Need to persist beyond test case execution time.

(e4). External events that represent some status notification about business environment, e.g. a server is down: need be shared by all test case scripts.

(e5). Etc...

 [This is a good idea for the test user to be aware of kinds (types) of events. I will continue to work on this. But I still think that the Event Adaptor feeds events to the MEB. The users has to determine which events are stored, deleted, or viewed. Let’s continue to talk.]

3- Could there be some E.Boards that do not fall into these categories: PEB, MEB, TEB ?

An event Board is I believe similar to Event Stream (see EPTS glossary). That suggests that the flow of incoming events as converted by the Event Adapter, could be split into several smaller event streams (like evt queues or topics), each one of these event streams (i.e. smaller Event Board) being consumed by a different test case instance, e.g. event stream for a single Purchase Order. Such an EB is not necessarily "temporary"... could be just a subset of a larger persistent Event Board, like a "view" on a common EB. So isn't such an EB outside any of these categories: PEB, MEB, TEB ?

 [I guess that you say two things here: the role of Event Adaptor and permanent storage of events for late use. Our original idea: the same answer as above. The Event Adaptor feeds Events to the MEB. If the test user want to use a particular subset of events for other test case instances, he or she needs to catch and store them.]

And happy lunar year too (and here is a question from an ignorant: how many of these lunar years in a "solar" year ??? :-)

[Good question! The lunar calendar has also January to December, which lags about 30 to 40 days behind the solar calendar. So we have only one new year for lunar calendar. The good thing is that we have two holidays: solar new year and lunar new year, and a couple of days before and after.]

-Jacques