tamie message

Subject: update and summary of current technical issues to discuss on 0.81 draft

update and summary of current technical issues or unsettled tech points to discuss on 0.81 draft

TP1: "X-effects" of various XTemp constructs:
- see Section 3.5: The "X-Effect" of various XTemp constructs.
- especially 3.5.4 (case of concurrent scriplets).
- see 3.4.1: the X-effect of a var declaration.
- see question#1 in 3.6 about X-effect of exiting scriplets.

TP2: Exiting semantics: see Section 3.6.
- See the three questions #2, #3, #4 about Exit semantics (search for "Question#" in the doc).
- See 3.6.2 proposal (exiting inside a var).
- See 3.6.3 proposal (exiting inside a conditional statement).

TP3: Execution Semantics of "catch", Section 3.8.
- VP-time dependency (3.8.2)
- catch execution semantics (3.8.3)

TP4: <execution-context>: Section 3.9:
- See 3.9.2: about namespaces: do we need <nms-binding> since we have anyway to declare
these in the <script-package> top element?
- See the Event Board declaration (3.9.3)

TP5: Section 3.4: <var> typing:
- In 3.4.1: exact meaning of @type="xml"? It allows for embedded XTemp statements
(xtemp:eval) and more. Should it just be untyped in that case?
(could have any xtemp statement at top level, the added xml being just in-line effect)

TP6: Prototype: use @indent="true" to add a line break at the end of each line of
generated effect (when executing the generated xsl).

TP7: <var>, <loop-var>, <next-val> definitions:
- should we align them all in the way they compute a variable value?
E.g. when using an [XPath] expression, shold we enforce the use of xtemp:eval for
all of them, or add @expr to all of them?
- should we rename: <loop-var> --> <lvar>, <next-val> --> <lvar-next>

TP8: How controllable is the notion of VP-time:
- issue with start/@async, e.g. when capturing the result of an async scriplet:
executing next statement (so not really async with the invoking scriplet).
- Proposal #1: redefine the notion of "concurrency" as just a VP-time setting mode:
Replace the notions of synchronous/asynchronous, with "VP-affecting" / "VP-resetting"
as all boils down to how VP-time is manipulated.
- <start scriplet="S1" vptaffect="false"> means the VP-time will be reset to its
pre-S1 value when completing S1 (replace @async="true")
- <start scriplet="S1" vptaffect="true"> (default) means the VP-time will be
updated to its latest S1 value, when resuming invoking scriplet (replace @async="false")
- do the same for <catch>: add a @vptaffect attribute.
- also, when searching for some combination of events, one may want to do a
"catch" over past events (before current VP-time). So allow for setting VP-time
before executing a <catch> as well as for a <start>:
- Proposal #2:
- <start scriplet="S1" vptset="(date/time)"> and <catch vptset="(date/time)">
- same for <start-with>
- VP-time can then be manipulated to not be "monotonic" during overall execution thread:
it is only local to a scriplet or catch execution.
(can be incremented in a sub-scriplet, then reset to its original value when
resuming the invoking scriplet.)
- Proposal #3: add a new instruction: <vptset dateTime="..." jump="(duration)"/>
and define a builtin variable $vptime that can be used at all time to give the
current VP-time (but not modified explicitly).

TP9: - <post> syntax ?
- should it allow any XML statement with any XTemp embedded statements?
(e.g. like a var def.) Or just a previously defined var?

-jacques