tax-comment message

Subject: Re: [tax-comment] Public Comment

At 2:39 pm -0800 28/10/03, Todd Boyle wrote:
>The emergence of standards for semantics is taking a long
>time. There was a collossal explosion of incompatible XML
>dialects right after XML came out 98-99 and some of them
>were so badly needed they took root and are in wide use.
>But in the long run everybody knows, they need to be interrelated
>with each other, within some common framework.  There
>really aren't any industries or endeavors that are islands,
>they all need to interoperate at their boundaries.

To answer Mark's original query (at least in part) and to echo
what Todd is saying above and below, an international tax
'vocabulary' is indeed being worked on by the Business Analysis
sub-committee along with a set of business process models for
various aspects of tax (including direct and indirect taxation)
that should provide a context for understanding the vocabulary
and an underpinning for the work of the TC as a whole.

In addition, the Technical Analysis sub-committee is exploring
other relevant standards and liaising with other bodies such as
UBL, OAG, OASIS CIQ and XBRL Int'l in just the way Todd describes
below. Both UBL and OAG are benefiting from our expertise in the
domain of indirect taxation and we expect to benefit from these
relationships too by learning from their experiences, avoiding
re-inventing their wheels and leveraging their investment in their
own standards, particularly in the domain of direct taxation and
its peripheral activities.

>At the end of the day, taxation processes refer to economic
>phenomena in the real world.  It seems to me, there is little
>likelihood there will be "Tax XML" with a whole set of semantics,
>iterating thru every kind of economic event that might be taxable,
>but separate from EDI, EDIFACT, or other transaction semantics.
>
>Rather, as groups like UBL, OAG, etc. progress their work towards
>common horizontal vocabularies, they will engage tax experts
>to provide names and definitions of the additional 50 or 100
>information elements, to describe how a tax may be computed,
>how bases may be measured, how geographic jurisdictions or
>agencies etc. are identified etc...

	Andy Greener, on behalf of UK Inland Revenue
	Co-chair, Technical Analysis SC, OASIS Tax XML TC
--

Andy Greener                         Mob: +44 7836 331933
GID Ltd, Reading, UK                 Tel: +44 118 956 1248