tax-tasc message

Subject: Re: [tax] RE: [tax-tasc] Summary of XBRL GL discussion

Some additional considerations......
While the corporate income tax domain may favor an accounting based
audit approach, there are many jurisdictions that levy taxes on
transactions at several points where accounting may not occur, or the
accounting for such is handled much later than the settlement date.
Such tax methods require reporting and settlement based on a tax
reporting period, that may or may not coincide with an accounting
period.  The XBRL-GL assumption is that ALL roads lead to the general
ledger and taxes or tax computations are based on an accounting view of
the world, not a legislative view of the world - and this from an
accountant no less!!  While this may work for countries that tie the tax
reporting and computations to a common accounting and tax reporting
period definition, how can we respond to those taxation systems that do
not?  As well, there are times when a full disclosure of the facts of a
transaction may be warranted, and the information in SAF and even
XBRL-GL may not, indeed will not, be sufficient.

Alex