tax message

Subject: RE: [tax] Draft Tax XML teleconference minutes

Title: RE: [tax] Draft Tax XML teleconference minutes

Terry,

I agree with you that we should not be distracted on the opportunities there are on income tax. The income tax arena we all (tax administrations) have entered. On the other end indirect taxes such as VAT/GST  produce vast amount of data of a not very complex nature. So there my be low hanging fruit there. I share your concern about the bandwidth of the TC but we are still in the starting fase. I hope to achieve some focus during the upcoming weeks and get a working programme were we all can participate and feel confident that we achieve something.

Harm Jan van Burg

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Lutes Terence H [mailto:Terence.H.Lutes@irs.gov]
Verzonden: vrijdag 7 maart 2003 14:25
Aan: 'H.J.M. van Burg'; 'Peter Horsburgh'; tax@lists.oasis-open.org
Onderwerp: RE: [tax] Draft Tax XML teleconference minutes

First, my biases.  It is not news to anyone that the U.S. does not have a VAT/GST at the federal level.  The states would likely have an interest.  I would not support working on indirect taxes if that means delaying income taxes.  I know a large number of countries are modernizing or just developing electronic income tax systems.  Thus to delay standards development on the income tax side would be to miss a tremendous opportunity.  If there is a desire to work income taxes right away, I would suggest consideration of two technical subcommittees, one for income taxes and one for indirect taxes.  The question is, "do we have the bandwidth for this?"