tax message

Subject: Re: [tax] FW: [egov] A report comparing Australian CustomerInformation Standards with the OASIS CIQ Standards

At 11:51 am -0400 30/6/03, john.glaubitz@vertexinc.com wrote:
>The standards developed by CIQ, which are focused specifically on name and
>address information, are very complete and are applicable to names and
>addresses anywhere in the world.  Many development efforts have started to
>implement using CIQ and they have begun to integrate themselves with
>several other OASIS efforts including UBL, CAM and potentially ebXML.
>Since name and address information will certainly be appropriate to tax,
>TaxXML should likewise look to potentially integrate with CIQ, either
>directly or through UBL and other standards.  Also, since the Autralian
>government and potentially others could make use of CIQ standards it
>presents an opportunity for further consistency of goverment related
>information.

[FYI: The UK Govt Office of the e-Envoy are proposing to standardise on xAL
for international addresses (whilst simultaneously proposing a local standard,
BS7666, for UK addresses and a transformation stylesheet to switch between
the two - I await with interest to see how that works out!).]

In the tax domain I would go further with CIQ and say that the customer
information (xCIL) parts of the standard are also applicable (in addition
to Name and Address). In the UK the Inland Revenue are responsible for
collecting National Insurance contributions (tax by any other name, but
linked to state pension and benefit rights) from employees and employers,
and in respect of this we need to capture personal information such as
date of birth, gender and marital status. Personal tax allowances and tax
credits also require varying amounts of personal information. I'm sure
the same must be true of other direct-tax collecting authorities.

I know that we are not in 'solution-mode' yet, but I have felt all along
that the only way to reconcile all the applicable domain standards is to
utilise a framework/component architecture such as the one proposed by
UBL/ebXML. If CIQ are moving in that direction too then so much the better.

I have the feeling that we should open a hailing channel to the UBL TC
so that we can begin to absorb some of the culture. Is this appropriate
for the TASC (in which case I'll initiate it) or would folks like to make
liaisons at the main committee level?
--

Andy Greener                         Mob: +44 7836 331933
GID Ltd, Reading, UK                 Tel: +44 118 956 1248