tax message

Subject: FW: Updated Decisions Document

Title: Bericht

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Burg, HJM van (DgB/INNOVATI)
Verzonden: woensdag 24 september 2003 13:38
Aan: 'Richard.HIGHFIELD@oecd.org'
Onderwerp: RE: Updated Decisions Document

Richard,

The XML vocabulary is available in a draft version where only information is available regarding indirect taxation. The different subcommittees are going to work on the vocabulary during the upcoming meetings. Although I expect a document like this will never reach the stage of being fixed I presume we have a document ready for distributing among a bigger audience early spring 2004 (after the January face to face meeting).
The white paper will be ready at the same time.
The making of business models is a more difficult exercise. The TC is working hard to get to the stage that we can define some common processes. There is no aim to produce a complete set of business models. The task we are doing at the moment is to find out where common processes can be defined. We do not know how far we can get but the TC considered it important to work from business models to common schema's. But business models itself are only used as working products. I expect that we are not going to publish those.
More important might be the work on the schema repository. I hope we have something to offer early spring as well.

Richard, I am aware of the concerns as well. In particularly CCRA is pushing hard to get the TC to deliver. On the other hand I urge the SG members to see the perspective. The work the TC is performing is difficult and the experience in working internationally is not very big. Tax administrations and businesses do not often regard each other as partners in the sense of an open standardisation regulatory body. The process of learning to work together takes time, but the advantage to reach mutual understanding is important. We are at the the threshold of a situation where we all invent our own wheel fitting to our (tax-administrations) specific  needs. If we do that it will cause the adoption of e-services in the business community going not as fast as we hope. Working in the fashion we do now might prevent that and has the effect that producing solutions becomes more cost effective.
Even the OECD is not the regulatory body for the Internet. So even we have to abide by the common processes on the Internet as much as we can. If the TC has produced some work w all can benefit from (businesses and tax administrations) it will be within one year of the start of the Committee. And that I do not consider as dragging on.

Regards,

Harm Jan