tax message

Subject: RE: [tax] Issues for v2.0 of position paper

My thoughts on the current discussion

I think there are more levels to discuss on the transport or security aspect. If I elaborate on your truck example

You can make a choice for a car/truck to deliver packages
You can tell people to take a specific route or road
You can tell people if you take that road, please be careful and keep you speed limited to 60
You can act like the police and check if everybody is driving according to the rules

My point here: I also think that transportation is less relevant, but transportation is linked to security. And i do think security is relevant.

The question is: do we need or want security?
If yes: who wants it, who is responsible? Everybody, so nobody?

If my bank opens an office in a very bad neighbourhood (and the internet is not a safe place!) and asks me to bring my money (tax data), can I hold the bank responsible for my safety?  Probably not, and that is why i do not carry much money with me and go to another bank. With tax filing i do not have much choice. And may be tax regulators will consider the safety of the people and feel at least a bit responsible for helping people to bring their money.

What is security? "People should be able to send their packages (tax data) and get confirmation on:
The package was received by the right party, in time and in the same order as it was send. "

F.i. the CobIT framework can be considered as an open standard to achieve these purposes.  I am not trying to complicate things, more connecting. The group should decide if the connection is relevant. If the goal of this group is to connect different standards (and make choices) to enhance the tax filing process (and make it more easy for the 'clients'), then security can be part of the discussions, i think.

A starting point for further development could be the model on page 16 of the position paper. Would it add value to reconsider this model and add more details (I have seen some pretty impressive models in the group, and these are not part of the document, unfortunately), f.i. the layers Andy mentioned in his email?
The way i see it: if the group evaluates different standards, this implies the existence of norms for the actual assessment.  The filing process should the basis of that. There is some material in the position paper, but not very explicit.

The model could force you to take an explicit standpoint  (just examples of what i am trying to make clear)
"Our tax organisation never wants to be dependent on one standard, unless it is open."
"We never want to use just one standard, open or proprietory."
"We find we are responsible for the process starting at A and ending at B." The same with levels in the process.
"Whe like the standards we use to have as minimal overlap as possible"
"CHoices between as little standards as possible against the best of breed"
"Try to use as much as possible exisiting business reporting infrastructure in companies"
"Try to convince as much software vendors to participate"

Met vriendelijke groet / best regards,

Marc van Hilvoorde
PricewaterhouseCoopers Accountants N.V.
Global Risk Management Solutions