tax message

Subject: Re: [tax] FW: standard format for payroll tax tables

Talking about a couple different things, really. Let's talk about typical
individual income taxes.

Check out pages 62- 74 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf) - the
guides to the amount of taxes that should be paid based on certain taxable
incomes when filing individual tax returns. Similar tables used in many
states, such as my home, NY (see pages 75-90 of
http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/2003/inc/it201i_2003.pdf.

Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax, is also an interesting
read.

Based on employee declarations about marital status and number of
dependents/exemptions, the employer pulls out money from the salary in
advance of the end of the year. There are tables and or formulas used for
this as well.

The employee, when filling out his or her individual tax return, then
substracts the amount already withheld, any other amounts, such as amounts
paid as estimates of taxes to be due, to come up with the balance due.

There are sales tax tables, e.g.
http://www.tax.state.va.us/web_pdfs/busForms/st_table_5percent.pdf also,
and others using the same concept.

Can't speak much to the update mechanism - they announce the new tables,
software developers work like made to get them into their software.

Here is ATO spin on same topic:
http://www.ato.gov.au/print.asp?doc=/content/33589.htm

<eccn />

Andy Greener <andy@gid.co.uk>
10/18/2004 04:44 PM

"Sylvia Webb" <swebb@gefeg.com>
cc
<tax@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
Re: [tax] FW: standard format for payroll tax tables

It would be really helpful if someone from the US could explain what
these tax tables are exactly, and what the update mechanism is. Thanks!

        Andy