tax message

Subject: Re: [ubl] SBSC items: Re: [ubl] Agenda for Pacific UBL TC call 11|12 July 2005

Sylvia, Tax XML TC,

[Please forward to the Tax XML TC, thanks.]

Greetings.

> The Tax XML TC has another question. If a vendor product claims that it
> 'supports SBS', does this really mean the product will actually prevent
the
> use of fields that are not included in the SBS profile like postbox, tax
> category, and timezoneoffset?

In short, ... no.

There are just two normative rules for the SBS:

1. Parties sending UBL documents to parties specified as receivers of a UBL
1.0 Small Business Subset (SBS) document or documents SHOULD NOT require the
same receiving party to process any part of the UBL document which is
external to the specified SBS.

2.  Parties specified as receivers of a UBL 1.0 Small Business Subset (SBS)
document or documents SHOULD ensure that their systems appropriately process
at least every document part that is specified in the SBS.

This means that anything can be added to the subset, as long as
businesses do not rely on such extra-subset data being processed
automatically in a default SBS collaboration (unless additionally
specified and/or agreed). This allows software to add to its UBL
support, beyond default SBS support, but adds caution as to what
it can reasonably expect other SBS-based software to 'understand'.

So software may support the SBS in two ways (both necessary to
claim adherance to the SBS rules):

1. in how it sends messages qualified by how it requires that
receiving software receive messages

2. in how it receives messages

To elaborate:

1.  "in how it sends messages...":  messages may include more than the
SBS ...

BUT

"...qualified by how it requires that receiving software receive messages":
provided it is accepted that, unless a trading agreement specifies otherwise
by
further qualifying subset use, anything extra to the subset such as postbox,
etc,
could be ignored by the receiving software and so anything critical to the
process should be sent (if possible) as content of those entities specified
by the SBS. It might be, for instance, that, using the example of postbox,
the
other party's software will not be able to send the 'postbox' details back
in
the addresses in return documents. One party might send an Order with
the Postbox in the Address but the other party might only be able to send
back an Invoice (or OrderResponse, etc) without Postbox in the Address.
This affects how postbox is included in the message sent: it might be OK
if the Order is not the primary source of the Address (if the other party
already has the address in their system) and can send it in back in
AddressLine.Line.

2. "in how it receives messages": UBL 1.0 SBS software in catering for
received messages only NEED cater for the entities in the SBS but MAY
cater for more (as much more as it like up to complete UBL and/or
customisations). It might be that it chooses to throw an 'exception' for
data
additional to the SBS so that this can be highlighted and the document ,
say,
extracted for human processing. This would then be, literally, 'the
exception
rather than the rule'.

I hope this is clear and helps.

All the best