tc-announce message

Subject: OASIS Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP) Technical Committee

To OASIS Members:

A draft TC charter has been submitted to establish the OASIS Advanced
Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP) Technical Committee (below). In
accordance with the OASIS TC Process Policy section 2.2:
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process-2009-07-30.php#formation)
the proposed charter is hereby submitted for comment. The comment
period shall remain open until 11:45 pm ET on 24 August 2011.

OASIS maintains a mailing list for the purpose of submitting comments
on proposed charters. Any OASIS member may post to this list by
sending email to: oasis-charter-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org. All
messages will be publicly archived at:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-charter-discuss/. Members
who wish to receive emails must join the group by selecting "join
group" on the group home page:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oasis-charter-discuss/.
Employees of organizational members do not require primary
representative approval to subscribe to the oasis-charter-discuss
e-mail.

A telephone conference will be held among the Convener, the OASIS TC
Administrator, and those proposers who wish to attend within four days
of the close of the comment period. The announcement and call-in
information will be noted on the OASIS Charter Discuss Group Calendar.

We encourage member comment and ask that you note the name of the
proposed TC ("AMQP") in the subject line of your email message.

===

(1) Charter of the Technical Committee

(a) Name of the TC

OASIS Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP) Technical Committee (TC).

(b) Statement of Purpose

The purpose of the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP) Technical
Committee (TC) is to define an open internet protocol for business
messaging. Salient business messaging requirements are:

- Ubiquity
       - Open internet protocol standard supporting unencumbered (a)
use, (b) implementation, and (c) extension.
       - Clear and unambiguous core functionality for business message
routing and delivery within internet infrastructure - so that business
messaging is provided by infrastructure and not by integration
experts.
       - Low barrier to understand, use and implement.
       - Fits into existing enterprise messaging applications
environments in a practical way.

- Safety
       - Infrastructure for a secure and trusted global transaction network.
               - Consisting of business messages that are tamper-proof.
               - Supporting message durability independent of
receivers being connected, and
               - Message delivery is resilient to technical failure.
       - Supports business requirements to transport business
transactions of any financial value.
       - Sender and receiver roles are mutually agreed upon by counter
parties – no possibility for injection of spam.

- Fidelity
       - Well-stated message queuing and delivery semantics covering:
at-most-once; at-least-once; and once-and-only-once aka 'reliable'.
       - Well-stated message ordering semantics describing what a
sender can expect (a) a receiver to observe and (b) a queue manager to
observe.
       - Well-stated reliable failure semantics so all exceptions can
be managed.

- Applicability
       - As TCP subsumed all technical features of networking, we
aspire for AMQP to be the prevalent business messaging technology
(tool) for organizations so that with increased use, ROI increases and
TCO decreases.
       - Any AMQP client can initiate communication with, and then
communicate with, any AMQP broker over TCP.
       - Any AMQP client can request communication with, and if
supported, negotiate the use of alternate transport protocols (e.g.
SCTP, UDP/multicast), from any AMQP broker.
       - Provides the core set of messaging patterns via a single
manageable protocol: asynchronous directed messaging, request/reply,
publish/subscribe, store and forward.
       - Supports hub and spoke messaging topology within and across
business boundaries.
       - Supports hub to hub message relay across business boundaries
through enactment of explicit agreements between broker authorities.
       - Supports Peer to Peer messaging across any network.

- Interoperability
       - Stable core (client-broker) wire protocol so that brokers do
not require upgrade during 1.x feature evolution: Any 1.x client will
work with any 1.y broker if y >= x.
       - Stable extended (broker-broker) wire protocol so that brokers
do not require upgrade during 1.x feature evolution: Any two broker
versions 1.x, 1.y can communicate using protocol 1.x if x<y.
       - Layered architecture, so features & network transports can be
independently extended by separated communities of use, enabling
business integration with other systems.

- Manageability
       - Binary wire protocol so that it can be ubiquitous, fast,
embedded (XML can be layered on top), enabling management to be
provided by encapsulating systems (e.g. O/S, middleware, phone).
       - Scalable, so that it can be a basis for high performance
fault-tolerant lossless messaging infrastructure, i.e. without
requiring other messaging technology.
       - Interaction with the message delivery system is possible,
sufficient to integrate with prevailing business operations that
administer messaging systems using management standards.
       - Intermediated: supports routing and relay management, traffic
flow management and quality of service management.
       - Decentralized deployment with independent local governance.
       - Global addressing standardizing end to end delivery across
any network scope.

(c) Scope of Work

The TC will accept as input the v1.0 Final version of the AMQP wire
level protocol specification [1] and will produce an OASIS Standard
version including necessary XML renderings.

Features of the AMQP wire protocol specification [1] include:

- Types - A wire-efficient encoding system involving:
       - "Primitive" type encodings for basic types present in most
programming languages
       - "Described" type encodings consisting of descriptor and
Primitive type for user defined custom types
       - Format codes for fixed width, variable width, compound, and
array type data categories
       - Composite types (encoded either as a described list or a
described map) for encoding structured data such as frame bodies

- Transport - A layered, peer-to-peer transport protocol involving:
       - The following entities:
               - Nodes as named entities for the safe storage/delivery
of messages
               - Containers as named entities containing one or more Nodes
               - Unidirectional Links between Nodes, over which messages flow
               - Links over bidirectional Sessions
               - Sessions consisting of two unidirectional Channels
flowing in opposing directions
               - Channels over Connections
               - Connections providing connectivity between two Containers
               - Frames for carrying data over Connections.
       - Protocol version negotiation
       - Connection operation including opening, pipelined open,
pipelining, closing, simultaneous close, and other connection
management mechanisms
       - Session operation including establishing, ending,
simultaneous ending, session flow control, session errors, and other
session management mechanisms
       - Link operation including naming, establishing, resuming,
detaching, reattaching, closing, flow control, synchronous get,
asynchronous notification, stopping, link errors, and other link
management mechanisms
       - Message operation including sections, fragments, transfers,
resuming, and large message transfer.

- Messaging - Providing interoperable messaging capabilities involving:
       - Message formatting, transfer states, message states, message
states at distribution nodes, and behavior at sources and targets

- Transactions - Coordination, operation, and error handling of transactions
       - Local transactions
       - Multiple transactions per Session
       - Transaction over multiple Sessions

- Security - Ability to establish an authenticated and/or encrypted transport
       - Use of AMQP in a TLS environment
       - Use of AMQP in a SASL environment

The scope of work for the OASIS Standard version of the AMQP wire
protocol specification is limited to:
       - Technical refinements to features defined in v1.0 Final
version of the AMQP wire level protocol specification [1] arising from
demonstrable interoperability problems.
       - Non-technical changes aimed at improving quality of the input
specification such as better documentation.

The TC shall conduct business as described in the OASIS Technical
Committee Process and will take advantage of the services provided by
OASIS, including e-mail lists and archives, and web servers for
tracking progress. E-mail archives will be visible to the public.

Out of scope: Any work not mentioned in the Scope of Work section is
deemed to be out of scope. Contributions to this TC which are out of
scope for this charter may be accumulated and taken into consideration
for potential development of a charter for another technical committee
that may be created to address future extensions or modifications.

(d) Deliverables

The TC shall produce the OASIS Standard version of the v1.0 AMQP wire
level protocol specification before July 2012. Following that, the TC
may advance the OASIS Standard version of the AMQP wire level protocol
specification to ISO/IEC JTC 1 through the JTC 1 PAS Transposition
Process.

Maintenance:

Once the TC has successfully produced the deliverables, the TC will
enter into a maintenance mode.

The purpose of the maintenance mode is to provide minor revisions to
previously adopted deliverables, in order to clarify ambiguities,
inconsistencies, and obvious errors.  The maintenance mode will not
functionally enhance a previously adopted deliverable, or extend its
functionality.

The TC will collect issues raised against the deliverables and
periodically process those issues. Issues that require extended or
enhanced functionality shall be recorded and set aside for potential
development of a charter for another technical committee that may be
created to address them. Issues that result in the clarification or
non-substantive correction of the deliverables shall be processed. The
TC shall maintain a list of the adopted clarifications and shall
create a new minor revision of the deliverables incorporating those
adopted clarifications.

(e) IPR Mode

This TC will operate under RF on RAND Terms IPR mode as defined in the
OASIS Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy effective 15 October
2010.

(f) Anticipated Audience

The anticipated audience for this work includes:
       - Business messaging users
       - Business messaging middleware vendors

(g) Language

TC business will be conducted in English.