A draft TC charter has been submitted to establish the OASIS Key-Value Database Application Interface (KVDB) Technical Committee. In accordance with the OASIS TC Process Policy section 2.2: (https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#formation
) the proposed charter is hereby submitted for comment. The comment period shall remain open until 08 November 2013 at 23:59 GMT.
A telephone conference will be held among the Convener, the OASIS TC Administrator, and those proposers who wish to attend within four days of the close of the comment period. The announcement and call-in information will be noted on the OASIS Charter Discuss Group Calendar.
We encourage member comment and ask that you note the name of the proposed TC (KVDB) in the subject line of your email message.
(1) The Charter of the TC
(1)(a) Name of the TC
OASIS Key-Value Database Application Interface (KVDB) Technical Committee (TC)
(1)(b) Statement of purpose
The purpose of the Key-Value Database Application Interface (KVDB) Technical Committee (TC) is to define an open application programming interface for managing and accessing data from database systems based on key-value model.
The work will focus on:
* Defining an abstract model and requirements of a key-value based database system.
* Managing data in key-value based database systems using a REST-ful application programming interface.
(1)(c) Scope of work
The TC will refine this initial contribution to produce OASIS standard specifications, including necessary supporting documentation.
Other contributions will be accepted for consideration without any prejudice or restrictions and evaluated based on technical merit in so far as they conform to this charter. Members with extensive experience and knowledge in these areas are particularly invited to participate.
The scope of the TC's work is limited to technical refinements to the feature set defined in the input contribution and the following features and capabilities.
The features in scope for the TC have been divided into the following categories:
1. Abstract models of key-value based database systems
Description of requirements for key-value based database systems include
* Data consistency
* Status messages
* Error codes and error messages
* Request headers
* Response headers
* Other requirements
3. Application programming interface (API)
* Retrieve tables
* Create tables
* Delete tables
* Retrieve metadata
* Insert/update metadata
* Insert/update data
* Delete data
* Retrieve data
* Query data
Out of Scope
The following is a non-exhaustive list provided only for the sake of clarity. If some function, mechanism or feature is not mentioned here, and it is not mentioned as in-scope in the Scope of Work section, then it will be deemed to be out of scope.
The following items are specifically out of scope of the work of the TC:
* Authentication, authorization, and access control mechanisms and protocols
* Database systems based on models other than key-value
* Key-value based storage other than database systems
Contributions to this TC which are out of scope for this charter may be accumulated and taken into consideration for potential development of a charter for another technical committee that may be created to address future extensions or modifications to KVDB.
(1)(d) A list of deliverables
The TC has the following set of deliverables:
* OASIS standards track KVDB specification(s) to be completed by the TC within twelve months after the initial TC meeting:
- Abstract models of key-value based database systems
- Requirements for key-value based database systems
- Application programming interfaces to manage key-value based database systems
Optionally, such other non-standards track deliverables within the scope outlined above, such as tutorials, within twelve months after the initial TC meeting
Once the TC has successfully produced the deliverables, the TC will enter into a maintenance mode. The purpose of the maintenance mode is to provide minor revisions to previously adopted deliverables, in order to clarify ambiguities, inconsistencies, and obvious errors. The maintenance mode will not functionally enhance a previously adopted deliverable, or extend its functionality.
(1)(e) IPR Mode
The TC will operate under the Non Assertion IPR mode as defined in the OASIS Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy effective 15 October 2010.
(1)(f) Anticipated Audience
The anticipated audience for this work includes:
* Vendors and service providers offering database services based on key-value model
* Vendors and application developers who consume database services based on key-value model
* End users implementing solutions that require an interoperable solution for querying and updating data in key-value based database systems
TC business will be conducted in Chinese. Committee work products intended for public review will be written in English.
(2) Non-normative information regarding the startup of the TC
(2)(a) Similar or Applicable Work
* KVDB adopts Representational State Transfer (REST) principles for exposing and consuming resources services over Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) based systems.
* The storage Networking Industry Association SNIA has produced the Cloud Data Management Interface (CDMI) and accepted by JTC1 as ISO/IEC 17826:2012 standard. 
(2)(b) Date, Time, and Location of the First meeting
The first meeting of the KVDB TC will be a face-to-face meeting to be held on December 26, 2013. This meeting will be sponsored by Huawei and CESI.
(2)(c) On-Going Meeting Plans & Sponsors
It is anticipated that KVDB TC will meet via teleconference every week for 60 minutes at a time determined by the TC members during the TCís first meetings. It is anticipated that the KVDB TC will meet face-to-face every 3-4 months at a time and location to be determined by the TC members. TC members will determine the actual pace of face-to-face and teleconference meetings. One of the proposers, as listed below, will sponsor the teleconferences unless other TC members offer to donate their own facilities.
(2)(d) Proposers of the TC
(2)(e) Statements of Support
Zhexuan Song, email@example.com
, Huawei: As Huawei's Primary Representative to OASIS, I approve the KVDB TC Charter, and endorse all Huawei proposers listed in (2)(d)
Haibo Li, firstname.lastname@example.org
, CESI: As CESI's Primary Representative to OASIS, I approve the KVDB TC Charter, and endorse all CESI proposers listed in (2)(d)
Jun Qian, email@example.com
, Primeton: As Primeton's Primary Representative to OASIS, I approve the KVDB TC Charter, and endorse all Primeton proposers listed in (2)(d)
(2)(f) TC Convener
(2)(g) Affiliation to Member Section
(2)(h) Initial Contribution
(2)(i) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
(2)(j) Working title and acronym for the Work Products to be developed
Key-Value Database Application Interface (KVDB)
 ISO/IEC 17826?2012 Information technology -- Cloud Data Management Interface (CDMI)
Director of Standards Development and TC Administration
OASIS: Advancing open standards for the information societyhttp://www.oasis-open.org
Primary: +1 973-996-2298
Mobile: +1 201-341-1393