tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] Draft deliverable 1 - the TGF Core Framework

m. +(0)44 7976 157745
Skype:  gov3john

-----Original Message-----
From: Haas, Ted [mailto:THaas@gs1us.org]
Sent: 03 February 2011 22:38
To: Greenaway Nigel; John Borras; peter@peterfbrown.com; TGF TC List

Cheers NIgel,
I am happy to see your comment about businesses. I posted a comment about
that last week and got no play (no worries, I understand everyone is
overloaded and  with the amount of work I am not contributing here, I can
easily understand being prioritized down).
I also would like to open a new issue that I hope will be touched in this
program but only lightly. We have worked long with a government group that
consisted of the CIO's offices in 15 US government agencies (since 2007)
This program has morphed into The PIC program which I have submitted public
domain documents on to the group.  Their major issue is two fold.  First
there is an almost incomprehensible level of overlap of jurisdiction between
government agencies based on what a product is composed of (President
Obama's analogy in "The state of The Union Address is a mild example)  There
is an even more divisive issue lurking a level below this.  That is that The
government agencies use (in some cases) several different identifiers to
conform something that are complete un resolved or linked.  I submitted to
John a url where a scientist in California has done a great deal of work in
this regard and co-opted the term economic distance.  Everything on his web
site is open domain for re use or citation and can be packaged and
redistributed.  The only prohibition is that it cannot be repackaged and
sold.  You can freely contact himdirectly to certify this.

If it is agreeable that treatment of Government to business can be made
robust and some mention of a unified information model can be included.  I
think there is enough of a linkage between what is going on here and the
things we are doing in our own right that I can naturally bring this work
into conversations I am having with very interesting and possibly helpful
constituencies and also cite our work as a use case within your framework.
I don't mean to be evasive on the who's but we are finalizing some
agreements and understandings and decorum precludes us from openly
discussing them until they are final.  I trust you will understand
Ted Haas
Standards Coordinator UNSPSC
www.unspsc.org
623-478-2745