tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] OASIS TGF PRIMER - DRAFT

Hmmm,

This might become a metadiscussion around the relative merits of referring to EA or SOA, and I’m certainly sensitive to the issues of perceptions of scope of both.

A quick insight to why, in my thinking at least, SOA > EA.

We struggled hard in the SOA-RM TC to ensure that the vision of SOA was broad and specifically not technology dependent – we argued that it was a paradigm for service delivery in a distributed, multiply owned and governed ecosystem. OTOH, perceptions of EA are precisely all-of-enterprise but still *within* an enterprise.

At the end of the day, this TC will not be the place to argue which is more appropriate (and I know that you’re not suggesting that it should, me neither), so it will be a question of getting across the importance of enterprise architecture (lower case) and the relevance of SOA (understood in its SOA-RM sense) as a paradigm

Cheers,

Peter

From: david.webber@google.com [mailto:david.webber@google.com]
Sent: Sunday, 13 February 2011 13:40
To: peter@peterfbrown.com; 'John Borras'; 'TGF TC List '; David Webber
Cc: 'Chris Parker'

Peter,

For BCM we looked to take a technology neutral view.

So at a minimum this should be enterprise architecture. Notice this has allowed BCM to stay relevant 5th years on.

Also I think SOA is a much more limited world view, and enterprise architecture is essential for completeness. Notice there is plenty of work we can reference on OASIS and more so we do not need to reinvent the wheel.

Sent from myTouch 4G