tgf message

Subject: Stakeholder Mapping diagram

Colin:

Firstly, some detailed explanation is provided earlier on under Stakeholder Mapping, where the concepts are introduced, in the new section that Nig, Chris and I completed on the Stakeholder Model. You don’t see this in the ‘out of context’ snippet that I circulated on the other issue. I attach a copy of the full section as it stands today (and which will be included in the completed Working Draft 02 being circulated tomorrow) and I hope that explains it a bit better in context.

If further explanation is needed, and it may, it should be handled in the text explaining that first diagram.

The basic idea of non-concentric circles is to get away from the belief (and model) that there is a simple progression from the centre in a one-way flow from Need > Policy Goal > Requirement > Service/Capability. Sometimes Goals are stated after needs (and even after requirements, as we know all too painfully from experience!) or requirements before goals, etc. What I suggest as text at the end of the explanation about services, requirements, goals and needs is:

“The various ellipses in the diagram above are deliberately not concentric circles. This is to underline that the process of establishing a service or capability is not a linear one going from needs, goals and requirements. In reality stages are often inter-related.”

Does that sound about right?

Peter

From: Colin Wallis [mailto:Colin.Wallis@dia.govt.nz]
Sent: Tuesday, 08 March, 2011 14:28
To: 'TGF TC List'
Subject: RE: [tgf] RE: Issue 13 (General)- Technology Management Framework - need to include Core Standards Set? - open

<snip/>

I'm struggling with the diagram personally. I get the relationship between the two circles, but I get lost in the sub circles within the main left hand one…

It could be only me, so if everyone else gets it, that fine.  If I am not alone, that may suggest a sentence in the text that explains those right after " In the figure below, we see that collaboration between TGF programs is favoured at the political, legal and organisational levels and only later, if and when necessary, at the more ‘tightly-coupled’ semantic and technical levels".

Cheers

Colin