tgf message

Subject: Issue 49 - Citizen-Centricity

Arnaud:

I’ve opened a new Issue 49 to address your main question: “what does it mean to be citizen-centric? From which level are we citizen-centric? And must we add something to existing practices?”

Regards,

Peter

From: ARNAUD A.J.M. MARTENS [mailto:arnaud.martens@minfin.fed.be]
Sent: Friday, 25 March, 2011 13:42
To: Chris Parker
Cc: John Borras; Peter F Brown; 'TGF TC List'
Subject: RE:RE: [tgf] RE:[tgf] ICEGOV CONFERENCE

Chris,

On the question of names and definition, there’s clearly no right answer.  The definition of Transformational Government used in the TGF is: “A managed process of ICT-enabled change in the public sector, which puts the needs of citizens and businesses at the heart of that process and which achieves significant transformational impacts on the efficiency and effectiveness of government.”  Now, it’s clearly possible to argue that this is the same thing as “e-government”,  and I guess that is Theresa’s point.

Yes for this point. It is the reason that i give the definition of OECD. We show the definition of OECD. Nobody can refuse this definition and we show the evolution of the definition by T-gov

The term "e-government" focuses on the use of new information and communication technologies (ICTs) by governments as applied to the full range of government functions. In particular, the networking potential offered by the Internet and related technologies has the potential to transform the structures and operation of government.

The definition of Transformational Government used in the TGF is: “A managed process of ICT-enabled change in the public sector, which puts the needs of citizens and businesses at the heart of that process and which achieves significant transformational impacts on the efficiency and effectiveness of government.

As you see, you have two types of definition and it is very difficult to said that it is the same definition. For me we must adapt the document.

However, in practice most e-government programs have not put the needs of citizens at the heart of the process in reality rather than simply in rhetoric, and have not achieved transformational impacts.  So it becomes a matter of semantics to argue whether T-Gov is something entirely different from E-gov, or is simply “E-gov-done-properly”.  Personally, I think there is value in signifying a break with the past by using a new label – and that is certainly the thinking of a number of governments active in this area as well.

For this point, the Ministry of Finance is citizen centric and we call that e-goverment. But if you add "how to integrate citizen participation, social inclusion & democracy through processes ", we are not centric citizen. My question is "what does it mean Centric Citizen?". From wich level are we Centric Citizen? Maybe must we add something?

On your second question, about “how to integrate citizen participation, social inclusion & democracy through processes with the concept of T-Gov”, I would argue that this integration is precisely what the Transformation Government Framework seeks to do.  These issues are built into the guiding principles of the TGF, they are integral to the “Citizen Empowerment” element of the TGF Customer Management Framework, and the Channel Management Framework focuses on the need for a clear digital inclusion strategy which reaches out to those sections of the population not currently using digital technologies.

Ok

Regards,

Arnaud

[...]

If it would be helpful, I’d be very happy to talk all of this through with you to assist with your engagement with the Ministry of Finance.

Best regards,

Chris Parker

Managing Partner, CS Transform Ltd, +44 7951 754 060