tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] TGF Pattern Language work

Peter

Thanks for all the hard work you’ve been doing on this.  For me, it has helped make real what the pattern language approach means in practice.  Up until now I’ve always struggled a little with the concept, but all the work you’ve done makes both the approach and the value it will bring much clearer for me.

I started working through the document this morning, annotating comments and questions on each of the patterns.  But as I did this, it occurred to me that there was a common driver behind most of my comments.  So I thought I should raise a general question before carrying on with the detail.  I wasn’t able to attend your working group session on this two weeks ago, so apologies if this is an issue which the group has already thought about and reached a decision on.

In short, my thought is that the document would be stronger and clearer if we only did one pattern each on “Guiding Principles” and “Critical Success Factors”, rather than articulating separate patterns for the individual principles and CSFs.

I have three reasons for suggesting this:

1)     As it stands, there is a strong sense of duplication – for example between the guiding principle on Customer Insight, the CSF on User Focus and the elements of the Customer Management framework.

2)     The patterns for the individual principles and CSFs feel to me like they fall somewhat between two stools.   The three-part pattern structure of “context/problem to be solved/solution” means that that they have been expanded significantly from the 1 or  2  sentence description in the Primer – but not to the extent that they yet feel they map out a complete delivery solution.  And yet on the other hand I think that they lose some of the clarity of communication that the original short versions tried to achieve.

3)     Finally, it feels to me that every pattern should have within it some clarity about the conformance criteria: ie how do we know if the pattern is being used effectively?  Your present version largely doesn’t do that – reflecting the fact that we didn’t set conformance criteria at the level of individual principles and CSFs in the original Primer.  (Instead we set  the conformance criteria at the higher level, ie requiring that a conformant implementation of the TGF must use the Guiding Principles and must measure and manage the CSFs.)

So my preference would be for the patterns mostly to be confined to the four delivery areas of Business Management/Customer Management/Channel Management/Technology Management (where I thought that the number and level of patterns seemed just right) , with a single pattern for Principles and a single one for CSFs.   I don’t see this as ducking a task, but simply recognising the overlaps that exist between these parts of the TGF.  In fact, one of the things that your work on the patterns has brought out more clearly for me is the extent to which these three elements of the Primer (Principles/Delivery Areas/CSFs) address the same issues, but in different ways for different audiences:

·         The Guiding Principles try to distil the core essence of the TGF approach, in a set of business principles which can be intuitively understood and which can form the basis of top leadership commitment across the government to a new sort of approach

·         The four delivery Frameworks then set out the meat of the TGF, articulating in detail what needs to be done in order to put  the principles into practice

·         The CSFs then cover the same scope of issues, but through the lens of quality assurance and for the benefit largely of those involved in periodic health-checking.of the TGF program.

What do you and others think?  If the alternative approach I’m suggesting sounds worth trying, I’d be happy to do a first cut at what the top-level single pattern for Principles and for CSFs might look like.  Much of the content in your individual patterns we would then want to move to relevant parts of the  Business Management/Customer Management/Channel Management/Technology Management patterns.

But like I say, apologies if I’m reopening an old issue!

Regards,

Chris Parker

Managing Partner, CS Transform Ltd, +44 7951 754 060