Subject: RE: [tgf] TGF Pattern Language work
Attached are replies to your comments on WD02 – most of which are incorporated in the interim draft I’m preparing for tomorrow’s meeting and others up for discussion…
Thanks for this effort. I realize you’ve probably focused more on getting the material together rather than quality and consistency etc. So hopefully my comments in the attached will help with the aspect.
It looks like from you’ve already done and plan to do, and what Chris is working on, we might have a complete set for the TC call which would be brilliant.
Somewhat belatedly, I can give an update on work being done of the drat Pattern Language
Attached is an interim, incomplete draft (WD02) of the TGF-PL deliverable.
Following the working group meeting held two weeks ago, I proceeded with the first steps in a methodology:
- Identify each and every conformance criterion in the TGF Primer
- From the criteria, identify possible “candidate” patterns;
- Add patterns that contribute to the whole;
- Remove patterns that are redundant or can be better expressed as part of a larger pattern;
I then started the work of transposing text from the TGF Primer to the Pattern Language document:
- Identify the core “imperative” statement for each pattern, based on the conformance statement in the Primer;
- Add text that relates a particular pattern to others;
- Add text that serves as the prose body of the pattern, taken from the Primer and other contributions;
- Add references back to the Primer where appropriate in the “completion” statement of each pattern;
As a result of a couple of cycles, the number of proposed patterns has gone up and down and has now stabilised at under 40.
The interim result attached reflects this process applied systematically.
As a result,
- the first 15 patterns are finished;
- another half dozen are nearly finished;
- the skeleton of the remaining patterns is in place
As I am “in the zone”, I’m happy to continue this tomorrow and should be able to complete another dozen or so of the patterns but after that I will be travelling for the remainder of the week.
Can I ask all members of the TC to:
- take a look and give any comments about whether the draft is going in the right direction;
- indicate whether the completed patterns satisfy the conformance criteria that we have nominally indicated in the Primer;
- submit any comments or queries on the nature and content of the document.
Can you also indicate whether you will be able to lend a hand at writing a few patterns, now that the structure and practice is clearer. As an indication, you should allow 30-45 minutes per pattern to go through the steps outlined above. I will continue tomorrow in any case, proceeding sequentially through the text. I will then only be able to return to this after tomorrow on Sunday 12th and Monday 13th.
If you are willing to write some patterns, please let me know, and I will send you the .docx file to work with.
For reference, we are due to decide at our TC meeting on Thursday 16th:
- whether to proceed with moving this working draft to a full “Committee Specification Draft” – which involves shifting the content to the new formal template and completing the set of patterns, at least as a first draft;
- agreeing a timetable to finish a first formal draft for adoption by the Committee and releasing it for public review
Peter F Brown
Transforming our Relationships with Information Technologies
P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA