tgf message

Subject: Re: [tgf] Update on your request TCADMIN-590, CSD Creation / UploadRequest for TGF Pattern Language - Core Patterns

I can't account for why Mary gave the advice cited.  The TC Process
says plainly "list shall be initially compiled by the Chair.."

So maybe she was volunteering to hand a Chair the suggested
starter list, or something like that (screen-scraping-helper).

"Acknowledgements. Any Work Product that is approved by the TC at any
level must include a list of people who participated in the
development of the Work Product.   **This list shall be initially
compiled by the Chair**, and any Member of the TC may add or remove
their names from the list by request."

http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process-2010-07-28#quality-acks

I agree with Chet's sentiments, with respect to making outright edits, and
particularly, as allowed changes are very narrowly defined to be those
necessitated in the (pure) act of publishing, for metadata revision.  The
list of people to be cited per Section 2.18(2) "(2) Acknowledgements" is
not metadata (and not an allowed change).

[Chet said:]

> TC Admin should do nothing
> beyond the changes explicitly allowed in the rules to the content
> produced by the TC's. I consider it a Golden Rule - the minute we get
> a reputation for "monkeying around with the TC's stuff" -- well, it is
> an invitation to question the integrity of the TC's work should one be
> so inclined.

For the same reason, I think we have not been tempted to make
"corrections".  It immediately causes problems with who
authorized the change (just the Chair?  without the TC's knowledge)
and whether TC Admin received and ACK'd the correction change,
and whether it was done correctly ("no, not that thing, the other
thing, and not that one either..."    TC Process is quite rational
on this point: TCs are responsible for content, and TCs need to
vote on content to approve it, and we don't change it after a vote.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org> wrote:
> I knew there was a reason... just didn't expect *that* reason.
>
> Thanks. I'm surprised because Robin has been adamant & said that Mary
> was as well -- and I fully agree -- that TC Admin should do nothing
> beyond the changes explicitly allowed in the rules to the content
> produced by the TC's. I consider it a Golden Rule - the minute we get
> a reputation for "monkeying around with the TC's stuff" -- well, it is
> an invitation to question the integrity of the TC's work should one be
> so inclined.
>
> In any case, thanks very much and apologies for the glitch.
>
> /chet
>
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Peter F Brown <peter@peterfbrown.com> wrote:
>> Ok,
>> I'll do the revision. Just for info. though, I left that section blank because, on a previous occasion, Mary had told me to do so and populated it with a list drawn from the TC member roster once in her hands.
>> I'll discuss with John about conducting a TC ballot....
>> Cheers,
>> Peter
>>
>> Peter F Brown
>> Independent Consultant
>> www.peterfbrown.com
>> Twitter @pensivepeter
>> +1.310.694.2278
>>
>> Sent from my Phone - Apologies for typos and brevity - it's hard to type on a moving planet

OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/people/staff/robin-cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html