tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] Cloud/datacenter requirements drafts from ODCA

Chris Parker
Managing Partner, CS Transform
+44 7951 754060

From: Jamie Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>
Sent: 14 September 2011 18:17
To: id-cloud@lists.oasis-open.org <id-cloud@lists.oasis-open.org>; tgf@lists.oasis-open.org <tgf@lists.oasis-open.org>; soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org <soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org>; pmrm@lists.oasis-open.org <pmrm@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>; Jane Harnad <jane.harnad@oasis-open.org>

The Open Data Center Alliance (http://www.opendatacenteralliance.org/), a group of data-center & cloud-computing users and providers focused on requirements development, has asked that we assist them in publicising their open call for input on a first series of requirements publications.

The material is posted here:  http://www.opendatacenteralliance.org/ourwork/usagemodels
That page includes a link to a "conceptual overview and document map" (PDF) which looks like a good starting point for review, for those inclined.  There's a summary of the eight current topical areas here:  http://www.opendatacenteralliance.org/ourwork/usagemodels/publishedusagemodelsindetail

ODCA representatives advised us that these are first public drafts, and that input (including suggestions for substantial change) is welcome at this time.  While we're unaware of a specific deadline, we understand that ODCA has another set of meetings near the end of the year, at which a plan for further revs and additional work may be discussed, so any input would be useful and timely this month.

Of course, all members also are free to comment on or take positions regarding ODCA's work in their own individual capacities.

We've advised ODCA that OASIS conducts its technical work via its technical committees, as defined and led by its members.  ODCA is one of a number of cloud-related technology interest groups which have sprung up in the last two years.  We're happy to pass along their request for public input, as we would with other similar efforts.

From the OASIS institutional point of view, let me share three observations:

(1) Some of the ODCA model-and-use-case collection work, at first glance, appears to be close to or relevant to some of the workplan of the OASIS ID-Cloud TC.  There may be some opportunity for crossfertilization there, if the OASIS TC and ODCA wish it.

(2) Each OASIS TC also specifically may create a liaison to this or any similar noncommercial standards project, under our usual policies, at its option:  http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/liaison#tcliaison

(3) ODCA representatives have indicated some interest in further collaboration with OASIS. Generally we're directing their attention to our TCs & technical process, as the proper focus for any such activity.  Several ODCA members have advised that they plan to attend the OASIS ICS cloud event in the UK in October, which would provide an opportunity for further conversation by those who may wish to pursue it.

Cordially, Jamie
James Bryce Clark, General Counsel
http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark

www.identi.ca/JamieXML