tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] NEW USA DIGITAL STRATEGY

John,

I’m going through the document right now (it can be found at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/egov/digital-government/digital-government-strategy.pdf)

Another press article, from NextGov, also covers the launch:

http://www.nextgov.com/cio-briefing/2012/05/white-house-launches-federal-digital-strategy/55879/

On first reading, it seems that they seem to have drunk deep at the “Open Data” watering hole but without fully understanding its implications and going too quickly straight into implementation and roll-out (it reads like a typical W3C Note!) – and the ‘citizen-centric’ chunk seems to have been bolted-on as a ‘good mention’ rather than a deep commitment. The emphasis is strongly on information being the central concern rather than the ‘subjects’ (whether citizens, businesses, clients, physical or intellectual assets, etc.) themselves about which information is known, held, managed, etc. – this approach only makes it citizen-centric for those with the financial and computing means to re-assemble OpenData in a way that fulfils such a desire, rather than a source commitment to make information citizen-centric…

For a Strategy document, there is scarily little about actual strategy – and way too much on technology implementation – with the Open Data mantra leading the way. This is an important document about the US federal government’s open information platform – but does not a ‘digital strategy” make….

Peter

From: tgf@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:tgf@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of John Borras
Sent: Thursday, 24 May, 2012 03:23
To: 'TGF TC List'
Subject: [tgf] NEW USA DIGITAL STRATEGY

Question for our US colleagues – how do we get our big TGF foot into the roll-out of this new Strategy, particularly the Citizen-Centric bit?

http://www.fiercegovernmentit.com/story/white-house-releases-digital-strategy/2012-05-23

We’re doing well with our relationships with the European Commission, perhaps this is the trigger to do a similar exercise with the White House.

John