tgf message

Subject: FW: CAMSS and OASIS TGF

Hello Riku

It was very good to meet you yesterday in Brussels.  As promised I’ve set out below my thoughts on how we might proceed with incorporating CAMSS into the OASIS Transformational Government Framework and through this help you meet the sustainability objectives of CAMSS.

Option 1

The quick and easy option is for us to include a recommendation for CAMSS in our Policy Product Matrix in the same way as we have done for ADMS, see https://wiki.oasis-open.org/tgf/cell%20Technical%20Management/Semantic .   Whilst this would give good visibility to CAMSS it would not achieve the sustainability that you require as the Method and Library would still need to be maintained by the Commission.  We could do this as an interim step whilst you consult on the other options listed below?

Option 2 – Sustainability of the Method

This option would perhaps provide the better long term process.  It would require the EC contributing the CAMSS Method to the OASIS TGF TC in accordance with the OASIS IPR Policy, see https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr#contributions .  To do this someone from the Commission, or their authorized representative, would need to join the TGF TC and formally contribute the Method.  The TC could then either accept that version and include it in the TGF as just a Method for use by EU Member States, or as we discussed yesterday use it as a basis for producing a more global Method which may mean some changes would be necessary to your current version.  Whichever version is produced, ie an EU or a global version, it becomes the property of OASIS in accordance with the IPR policy and if the Commission wanted to make changes at any time in the future they would have to be negotiated within the TC.

This option does however have the benefit of allowing for the Method to become a formal Specification under the OASIS TC procedures and therefore it would be maintained and made available by OASIS thus providing you with a long term sustainable path.  And one further point that may be of interest to you.  It is our longer intention to take the TGF into ISO and make it an ISO Standard and when we achieve that it would of course cement the long term of the TGF.  We do not currently have a timescale for this as we need a good deal of adoption of the TGF before we can take that step.

Option 3 – Sustainability of the Library

As I said yesterday OASIS would not be in a position to provide a sustainable path for the Library so the Commission would need to look after that aspect themselves.  But just one thought to reflect on.  If we produce a global version of the Method within the OASIS TC there will be a need for a global Library and presumably the Commission would not want to open up their Library for global usage?  So between us we would need to look for another alternative for hosting the Library which could/should include migrating the Commission’s version to it.

In summary I would favour Option 2 and my OASIS TC producing a global version of CAMSS but we would need to address the Library problem.  Perhaps there are other options you wish to consider, if so please let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you further.

Regards

John Borras

Chair OASIS TGF Technical Committee

m. +(0)44 7976 157745