tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] FW: As promised at the last TC call...CHAMPS2 Business Change Method

Chris

Thanks very much for this summary and suggested way forward.  Clearly from our side we would prefer the owners of Champs2 to bring it into the TC and internationalize it in the same way as we envisage the CAMSS methodology.

I will copy your ideas to Socitm as a suggested input to the proposed workshop.

John

From: Chris Parker [mailto:chris.parker@cstransform.com]
Sent: 25 June 2012 11:57
To: John Borras; 'TGF TC List'

John, Andy

I’ve registered on the CHAMPS2 site and had a look at all the material.

It seems to me there is potentially some very significant complementarity here.  CHAMPS2 is a vanilla methodology for developing a transformation roadmap.  It is in some ways much more detailed than the TGF, and in other very important ways much less rich and useful.  Below are some thoughts fleshing out each of these two aspects, then some suggestions as to how CHAPS2 and the TGF might work together.

Ways in which CHAMP2 is more detailed

CHAMPS2 sets out an eight phase “change journey” (equivalent to “Roadmap for Transformation” as we call it in TGF Pattern 8).  In the table below, I’ve summarised those 8 phases and compared them with the five phases recommended in the TGF Primer:

Phases recommended for the “Roadmap for Transformation” in the TGF Primer

Phases of the CHAMPS2 Roadmap

Plan

Transformation Initiation

Initiate

Visioning

Deliver

Shaping and Planning

Consolidate

Design

Transform

Service creation and realisation

Proving and transition

Stabilisation

Benefits realisation

As you can see, the two are very similar, with CHAPS2 describing the TGF phases in a few more steps.   Philosophically, there is a bit of a difference of emphasis between the two, in terms of the guidance given.  The CHAMPS2 process feels like an engineering approach, whereas the TGF roadmap guidance puts more emphasis on the organic nature of the change process.  In particular, the TGF emphasises the need to grow a critical mass of user take-up for services, and learn from that, before moving to the wider transformations that user take-up enables.  That said, the CHAPS2 process is described in much more detail than we have yet done for the TGF Roadmap, with lots of material in terms of planning templates etc.  Much of this is very useful, and similar to tools we use in our own business when working on roadmaps for clients.

Ways in which TGF is richer than CHAMPS2

The key difference is that where CHAMPS2 provides a vanilla template for planning any transformational journey, the TGF specifically takes the stance that successful transformation in the public sector requires a citizen-centric approach.  The TGF is therefore much richer than CHAMPS2 on what is needed to join-up across organisational silos to deliver on citizen and business needs in an integrated way.  So where CHAMPS2 gives you an empty template, the TGF gives a wealth of guidance and tools, based on international best practices, on what the content of a citizen-centric transformation programme should include: the guiding principles, the CSFs, the business model, how to manage channels, identity, branding etc in a citizen centric way, and so on.

How they fit together

In short, I see CHAMPS2 as providing useful and detailed guidance on how to implement TGF Pattern 8, the Roadmap for Transformation.  I don’t think it is yet perfect, and if the CHAMP2 owners wanted to bring CHAMPS2 into the TGF framework, then I think we could usefully tweak and shape it a little.  But it would certainly bring some real value.

Next steps

My suggestion is that we should use the SOCITM workshop to explore these synergies, and also work out whether the owners of CHAMP2 might be interested in internationalising their work through the TC.  I guess there could be two ways of doing this.  Informally, we could simply point to CHAMPS2 as useful guidance on roadmapping, perhaps via the Policy Product Matrix. More formally, the CHAMP2 owners might want to contribute the methodology to the TC, so that it could go through the OASIS process and become a formal part of the TGF spec (probably via some rewriting of Pattern 8 and the relevant part of the Primer to ensure complete alignment, then underpinned by a more detailed Committee Note).

What do you think?

By the way, I’ve used the phrase “the owners of CHAMP2” because it’s not clear to me from the web site who these are!  Is it Birmingham City Council and Capita, who jointly developed it, or perhaps APMG who are providing training and certification, or someone else?  Andy: is this something you know about?

Chris Parker

Managing Partner, CS Transform

+44 7951 754060