tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] EU "Common Assessment Methodology for Standards and Specifications (CAMSS)" and TGF - volunteers?

Peter

First of all thanks for the three updates you’ve just provided.  We can pick up on all of them on our call tomorrow.

Count me in as a volunteer for this CAMSS work but we need to think through the timing of any new spec and I wanted to discuss that aspect under agenda item 1 “the future” tomorrow so this is very timely.

From what you have said do I take it that the EC is not minded to ask any SDO to formally standardise CAMSS in the way they did with W3C and ADMS?  In other words we could do a cut of CAMSS for the TGF and W3C could do something similar, so neither has total prerogative?

John

From: tgf@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:tgf@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Peter F Brown
Sent: 16 January 2013 03:12
To: 'TGF TC List'

Hi,

Although there isn’t a formal Action Item open against this, I agreed some time ago to investigate the possibility of casting the CAMSS deliverable as a new set of TGF Patterns.

After considerable discussion within different services in the European Commission I can now report that OASIS is entirely free to take any of the CAMSS work and incorporate into a new OASIS deliverable. This is in line with the European Commission’s commitment to open government and open data. I have already shown several Commission officials a “mock up” of what a new TGF-CAMSS deliverable could look like and this has been widely appreciated.

CAMSS is also being increasingly referenced by the newly established “Multi-Stakeholder Platform” (MSP) that has been set up by the European Commission to advise it on appropriate standards to be referenced in European legislation and activities, in line with the new EU Standardisation Regulation. In recent talks with the UK Government Cabinet Office there were also strong expressions of support for using CAMSS in the UK government’s IT standards assessments. As such, the possibility of CAMSS itself becoming a formal standard – rather than “just” a European Commission document – is something we should encourage, provided that it strikes the right balance between abstraction and detail, in line with the “core” of the TGF.

There is a considerable chunk of work to be done to take the entirety of CAMSS and cast the main principles as a set of patterns similar to the core patterns. I am willing to carry the main workload of piloting this through to a new TC specification but it would greatly help to have a couple of people to work with me to at least prepare a first TGF committee working draft.

Any volunteers?

Cheers,

Peter

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

Using Information Technologies to Empower and Transform

www.peterfbrown.com

P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278

Member of:

Follow me: