tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] OASIS TGF TC MEETING 17TH JANUARY - PAPERS

John

Ahead of our call tomorrow (and prompted by Peter’s admirable updating of where things stand on his action items), I thought I should give a quick update on the idea of a Smart City use case for the TGF.

As we have discussed previously, the British Standards Institute here is very interested in looking at this area, as part of the UK government’s broader drive around Smart Cities.  BSI undertook a major consultation last summer on how standards could support Smart City development, and one of the major findings from that consultation was that their initial outline strategy focused too much on issues of technical interoperability.  Respondents from both the supply and demand sides of the smart city market pointed to the need for guidance, advice and frameworks around the business, governance and decision-making challenges for cities looking to develop an effective Smart City programme.

As a result, BSI has now decided to kick off a project to develop a new Publically Available Specification: “PAS 181, A decision-making framework for the establishment of a smart city”.    An initial workshop to help kick off and scope this work will be held in London on 1 February – please see details in the attached email, which BSI have sent out to a wide range of stakeholders.

BSI are interested in the TGF in this context, for a range of reasons: because it addresses very similar challenges of joining up across silos, because the pattern language approach offers a potentially reusable model for them to develop a non-technical standard of this sort, and because OASIS offers a potential route for the subsequent “internationalisation” of this work in future (which the UK government sees as important).  One of the things that they want to do through the 1 Feb workshop is test with UK  stakeholders the potential value and also the limitations of the TGF in this area.

I will be at the workshop, and I believe Nig and John have also been invited.  However, BSI has told me that if others on the TC are interested in attending, they’d be happy to extend the invitation assuming numbers allow.  So if any of you would like to attend, please shout.

Best regards,

Chris Parker

Managing Partner

CS Transform Limited