tgf message

Subject: RE: [chairs] Voting No on TGF ballot - TC's RESPONSE

Chairs

You will already have seen the response from Peter Brown, copy attached, to
Patrick's complaint.  I have to re-enforce emphatically on behalf of my TC
what Peter has said in our defence.  The TC has followed all OASIS
procedures to the letter and no complaints have been received at any stage
during the various internal and public reviews.  So why does Patrick raise
this objection at the 11th hour during the final vote. He has had ample
opportunity to raise any objections at an earlier date and to do so now is
not really helpful to all my colleagues on the TC who have put in many hours
of hard work to get to where we are today. It also reflects badly on OASIS
as all of the consequences of these exchanges will be in the public domain.
I'm sure as TC chairs you can empathise with that situation.

Also in our opinion he is wrong in trying to compare the approach to
conformance clauses in the more traditional OASIS technical standards where
making systems interoperate is the objective and can be fully tested.  Those
parameters are not the same for a business methodology like the TGF.  Our
objective is not about interoperability as such but setting a standard
approach for running a business change programme, in this case for the
delivery of public sector services.  There are many other business standards
including ISO and national standards where the same type of conformance
criteria as we have in the TGF are set.  So a different mentality is
required for our case and we do not believe Patrick?s views reflect that
perspective.  We think his final sentence in his note sums it up where he
talks about ?OASIS standards to have any credibility in the IT world?.
OASIS and many other standards organisations nowadays are not just about the
IT world and the TGF is definitely not just about IT. There is a going trend
to address the business and other aspects of deploying IT systems and we
believe we are in the vanguard of that new focus.

I respectively ask you to ignore Patrick's request to vote No and to confirm
your support for our work.

Regards
John Borras

Chair OASIS TGF Technical Committee