tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] FW: CONSULTATION: PAS 181, Smart city framework - Guidance for decision-makers in smart cities and communities

John

I am on holiday this week, and almost certainly won’t be able to join the call on Thursday.  If you decide to go ahead with the call, I’ll call in if I can – but probably not, so don’t proceed if you think my presence is essential!

I’m not sure that it is though, so here are a few comments which might be helpful.

As you’ll see, the SCF follows the TGF structure of guiding principles, key delivery processes, benefit realisation and CSFs.  In the second area, the SCF uses a structure of business management, service management (combining the “customer management” and “channel management” scope of the TGF), and “technology and digital asset management” (similar in scope to the technology management element of TGF, but with more focus on digital information and applications).  But it is not just structure: the document also re-uses lots of the detailed TGF content.  The document very much takes its lead from the TGF, and explicitly acknowledges its debt to the TGF.  This really is a great endorsement of the TC’s work.

That said, as well as tailoring TGF content to suit the needs of cities, there is new material here, reflecting a lot of enthusiastic stakeholder input.  Much of it I think helpfully expands on TGF thinking and could usefully be brought back up into the main TGF.  (For example, in the treatment of procurement, and open data).

In structural terms, BSI were looking for one stand-alone document, so I have built this around a set of patterns, but with slightly more discursive background within them than in the TGF patterns.  Effectively, it is a combination of the TGF primer and the pattern language documents.  We’ve discussed this before as something the TC might want to consider  for TGF v2 – so now you can judge for yourselves to what extent you think it works.

Anyway, be great to have the TC’s views on it.  People are all welcome to feed in formally to BSI’s consultation process as individuals, but I think it would be great also for the TC to put in a collective response.

One issue I’d welcome the group’s view on is this question: If a city followed all the guidance in the SCF to the letter, do we think they would be conforming to all the TGF conformance clauses?  That is certainly what I was aiming for, but it would be great to have your view.

Regards,

Chris Parker

Managing Partner

CS Transform Limited