tgf message

Subject: RE: Strawman proposal for 'cross-selling' explanation Pge 20 of V2.

Thanks Colin

I’m not entirely sure if we’re agreeing, or agreeing to disagree!  Either way, looks we have an agreed way forward on the text.  Be great to have a chat about all this next time we catch up. Who knows: maybe we should be aiming to produce a dedicated pattern on this some time in the future!

Chris Parker

Managing Partner

CS Transform Limited

www.cstransform.com

T: +44 7951 754060

F: +44 207 681 3908

Citizen Service Transformation

From: tgf@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:tgf@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Colin Wallis
Sent: 24 November 2013 21:58
To: Chris Parker; Greenaway Nigel; 'TGF TC List'

Chris

Sorry too, because I think it was.. J

I work with these scenarios as part of my daily ‘bread and butter’ and I didn’t need the simple example, but thanks anyway...

This is the classic Amazon, eBay, FB, Google etc cross sell (for which they get downstream $ - tho’ I don’t expect most governments to exploit that potential), where now there are well known customer concerns, arising from relating the current transaction in question, with previous transaction patterns and browsing habits without their knowledge or explicit consent or direction, across (what in NZ we call) privacy domains. It is perfectly possible in some jurisdictions, for the customer to have different ‘accounts’ and/or personas in these services at different Ministries, even when they are at the same Ministry, and it is their right if they do not wish to connect the personal information relating to them. Not all customers greet with euphoria, travel info pushed from their social network, following booking a holiday at a quite unrelated online travel company. Increasingly it concerns them, and then it angers them.

Pushing related services from an integrated government approach is no better than these guys mentioned above pushing services from an integrated global ‘net, which is rapidly turning from a being positive and uplifting experience to a negative and intrusive experience.

Integrated government is a great goal, and most customers will welcome it, provided they are in control of what aspects of their data are shared where.. This is the essence of Personal Data Ecosystems, the intent economy, and similar constructs.

Government can and should learn from the above organisations and many like them, and future proof themselves for this emerging shift of power and control from the provider of services to the users of them.

You are right about connotations though – and your suggestion of taking the words out, means that the TGF remains silent on this and leaves the implementation and deployment policies to those closest to the context. And I’m OK with that.

Cheers

Colin