tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] INTERNET OF THINGS

Hi John,

                This is the “latest thing” but one that I think is very important and will play a large part in all our lives.

WRT the TGF, I think we should bear it in mind during all or activities as it will form part of the implementation of a large number of systems that will impact on our personal lives and the services implemented by or on behalf of many public institutions (particularly local government) where initiatives such as smart cities are becoming more common and monitoring of conditions of people, buildings, spaces, objects, etc starts to become commonplace. Anything that has a physical manifestation will be subject to the IoT.

I believe that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg with this sort of technology and it will provide the  means of reducing staff workloads to deal with incidents where attention is needed. Examples of this are mentioned in the eHealth profile where the IoT offers the promise of a  health professional needing t only perform periodic checks on an individual (thus freeing up their time to deal with more patients, etc,) whilst being informed when an event or deviation from the norm occurs that requires an interim visit and check. Here, as elsewhere, the IoT provides a part of the solution to a social and business need and thus needs to be considered, I suggest, in the same way as we would always be careful to ensure that (e.g.) citizen-centricity is supported by our conclusions and in our deliverables.

Within OASIS the only IoT activity that I have noticed is  the Message Queuing Telemetry Transport (MQTT) TC that is developing a lightweight publish/subscribe reliable messaging transport protocol suitable for communication in M2M/IoT contexts where a small code footprint is required and/or network bandwidth is at a premium.

Regards

Nig

Nig Greenaway

Fujitsu Fellow

FUJITSU

Lovelace Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 8SN

Tel: +44 (0) 843 354 5637 Internal: 7444 5637

Mob : +44 (0) 7867 833147 Internal: 7383 3147

E-mail: nig.greenaway@uk.fujitsu.com
Web: http://uk.fujitsu.com