tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] OASIS TGF TC - 19th JUNE MEETING PAPERS

Thanks Colin, John, Nig

I was a little more positive on the last call about this topic, but thinking about it more, I am tending more towards Colin’s line of thinking on this. What is great about the TGF is that (in my over-simplification of it) it is a recipe book for using the power of technology for good. And “good” in our case is achieved by putting the citizen as our focal point.

It’s not about the technology per se – and that’s the point of the TGF.

Another way to state it is – how do you orchestrate all the cloud/web/technology services in a manner that benefits citizens? In many ways, if I’m stitching all these services together, I really don’t care if the service is delivered by 2 dogs and a cat – so long as it meets all my requirements – including security, data protection, availability etc.

Why would you look beyond the service and into the platform itself? Well, I would think the main reason would be that a particular platform might be used for multiple services – and therefore many of your requirements could be satisfied at the platform layer – thus effectively aggregating your requirements across a number of services. Like this:

In the picture, you’ll see a bunch of rectangles representing platforms. The services run on these platforms. Some of these platforms will be in-house, some in the cloud and some will be multiple layers deep (eg a cloud service provider ‘white labeling’ other services, which themselves are delivering apps and services). Some of these platforms will therefore be “virtual” (because they are combinations of other platforms) and some of these platforms might be “micro” (because they run on your TV, phone or device).

As an example, it may be possible to say a particular platform meets your requirements for data protection and availability. That might be the black box in the picture above. You may therefore be able to say that the services on this platform inherit those requirements – and that might simplify service requirements for you on that platform.

I think most of this is consistent with Nig’s perspective. But I’m not sure the end result is a “Platform Management Framework” – that sounds kind of inward, or technology focused, rather than outward/citizen focused. I’m also not sure that Colin’s suggestion of expanding the “Technology Management” section is right because a lot of this is more about supplier management and business processes. Perhaps it should go under “Service Management” (though with “platform” we’re talking more about the inward-looking or supporting services rather than the citizen-centric perspective on services – which I think should remain our focus).

The other thing to consider is the role of SLA’s (Service Level Agreements) in this discussion. There is plenty of work going on in this area (eg ISO/IEC 19086 – Cloud computing – service level agreement framework and terminology) so the intersection of SLA’s with the idea of platforms could be interesting – although again I would see “platform” as really just supporting infrastructure for “services”. Specifically, what does the “platform” concept add to SLAs? And with that perspective – is this work something that should be done in the TGF?

I look forward to further discussion.

Geoff Clarke