tgf message

Subject: RE: Request for new items

Hi Chris et al

Thanks for comments and suggestions.

I think it would be great if Jan McConchie joined the next meeting.

Regarding the “JTC 1 alignment work” I would say that there is a study group on what we’re calling the “mapping between ISO/IEC 38500 and OASIS TGF”. That’s not quite the right term, but what we are trying to do is two things:

-        If you’re using 38500, how might see how TGF could apply and help you (assuming you’re in government etc) and vice versa

-        What feedback/suggestions can we give to the editors of SC40 (the group that looks after 38500) or the TGF TC

This work is proceeding slowly, with a report expected in about the April 2016 timeframe. It is likely that the outcome of the report will be a suggestion to create a Technical Report that answers the two points above. Note that we are not trying to align or harmonize the two standards – they cover different things.

So, yes, there is work going on that is related to OASIS TGF – though not specifically in the TC.

I still think our biggest challenge is to get that second statement of use to enable TGF V2 to become an OASIS standard.

I agree with Nig on the quarterly call (while we all try to get that missing statement of use).

Longer term, I think it would be great to see how we can “reimagine” the TGF TC (sorry, I had to use that word because it’s a magic marketing term that is wonderfully overused J). For example, I suspect we could remove the “G” and apply it more broadly – and incorporate some of the modern data-based things we’re seeing - like IoT, big data, governance, privacy and other burning issues that really are causing businesses to want to transform or be disrupted. I’m working on a new marketing term that I call “uberizing the business”. (you now know why I’m not in marketing).

Personally, I think there’s a lot of work to do here, so I’d hate to see the TGF TC killed off (unless it rises again as something new).

Geoff Clarke

Regional Standards Manager  |  Microsoft  |  +61 410 533 096  |  skype: geoffnclarke