Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] RE: [tm-pubsubj] global UDDI registry

See my comments below.

At 09:15 AM 12/11/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Bernard Vatant:
> > All that lets me wondering ... in a nutshell : What
>business case does UDDI
>support? I don't really know about OASIS policy
>regarding UDDI, but that is
>indeed something to think about ...

Scott:
>Web services seem to promote more on "application
>integration" in lieu of "information integration" (see
>http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1457).  While XML's
>advantage is to provide a sharable data format lest
>vendor lockin, application vendors seem to promote web
>services in order to get us (the IT consumer) back
>under their controls of the web.  I personally do not
>see a good business case for the "discovery" features
>of UDDI and WSDL at where I belong.

Mary:
I recently attended JavaOne in Japan and this got me thinking...
If you look at Bernard's dtds, they look as if they should be used for a
topic map registry with published subjects for a  "merge map" web
service... or maybe I am thinking too far ahead in advance ;-)
I could see a registration of templates or schemas for topic maps that
could be used by companies who wished to merge information.
The uddi would take care of the registration and secure identity of
businesses that would use the maps.

Of course, we would not need to have a web service and uddi to do this sort
of thing; let's say we wanted to merge our maps. I could  just as well send
you a CD with my TM schema and my TM through the snail mail, you could then
use the schema to create your TM, use the schema to migrate your
database  into the xml Map, and  then use an application to merge the maps.

In addition,  we still need to address the "network binding points"  idea
that is discussed in Bernard's Paper, Binding Points for Subject Identity
and what the requirements for this would be. This is where the web services
idea may be applicable, too.

Anyway, the message that I took home from the conference was, once we have
identity (users/agents, services, packets over networks) anything is
possible in the realm of Web Services.

Cheers,
Mary

Mary Y. Nishikawa, Technical Editor & EDMS Support
XML Evangelist
Technique/ InTouch Documentation
Schlumberger K. K.
2-2-1 Fuchinobe