Subject: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Subject-Oriented Applications

Thinking about use of PSIs beyond topic maps, in the spirit of my recent post about W3C
OWL, I was wondering.

Read the following current definitions ...

-- A subject indicator is a resource that is referred to *by a topic map author* to
provide an unambiguous indication of the identity of a subject to a human being.
-- Any resource can become a subject indicator by being referred to as such *from within
some topic map*, whether or not it was intended by its publisher to be a subject
indicator.

They are very topic-map oriented ... now get rid of what is *highlighted*. Does it still
make sense? It seems.

Who or what application would refer to a subject indicator apart topic maps? Don't ask ...
Any user or application needing both human-readable and computer-processable identity for
a subject ... intelligent agents, ontologies, web services, unameit application 10 or 50
years from now. In any case, I think we should open the door to any of those applications,
and therefore get rid of exclusive reference to topic maps in the definition of subject
indicator. I suggest the following.

Preliminary definition:
-- A subject-oriented application is any document, language, software, technology, system
... using abstract representations of subjects (e.g. called topics) as fundamental
objects.

This notion allows the generalization of definitions:

-- A subject indicator is a resource that is referred to, in a subject-oriented
application, in order to provide an unambiguous indication of the identity of a subject to
a human being.

-- Any resource can become a subject indicator by being referred to as such by a
subject-oriented application, whether or not it was intended by its publisher to be used
as a subject indicator.

-- A published subject indicator is a subject indicator that is published and maintained
at an advertised address in order to facilitate interoperability of subject-oriented
applications.

I've put those suggestions between the lines on psdoc page. Of course if this
generalization is accepted by the TC, we should review the whole prose of the introduction

Bernard.