Subject: RE: [tm-pubsubj-comment] ISSUE 4 - Relationships between subjects

I certainly agree with Lars. We don't know what use people will make of
things we publish; they're likely to do things we never dreamed of and might
not even agree with. Best not to build in too much structure, unless we wrap
it with all sorts of warnings. I am reminded of some of John Sowa's
complaints against SUMO: they've tried to build a big, complex ontology, and
you can't just dip into it for some piece you need without getting entangled
in their web.

(I think of a discussion that's going on in the Mac world: someone put up
what purported to be a fundamentalist Christian site attacking Macs and Mac
OS X in particular because it's based on something called Darwin, which the
site took to mean Darwinism
(http://207.67.219.101/objective/propaganda.html). The most recent opinion
is that the site is a hoax, right down to the concocted name of the
purported author
(http://www.applelinks.com/articles/2002/04/20020425135747.shtml#11). But
the site is filled with working links to real sites of apparently complete
sincerity. Do the folks whose sites have been snared by the hoax approve or
even know about it?)

Jim Mason